English Slang

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Here near Newcastle we have our own language of slang - see sentence below

A went to the boozer with me marra’s to watch the toon on the tele. Seen these proper munter lasses walking on the other side of the street! Even the spuggies pegged it. Proper belta

Yeah translate that one
I'm pretty sure I understand it, but have an unfair advantage, so I'd love to see an American or Canadian try to translate it!

I am born and bred Isle of Wight, and we have an "interesting" language that usually totally confuddles anyone not an islander.

A gurt mallyshag.....a giant caterpillar
A Caulkhead...someone, like me, who is born on the island
Nammet in a scrag bag...lunch in a lunchbox
Dewbit...bread & cheese
Dayn Cays....going to Cowes (the island's capital town)
Ferkin or to Firk...to fuss about, to search...and a dog that is scratching at something
Wiggle-waggles....the seeds of totter grass
Grockle....someone on the island either resident or tourist who is not born there
Twank...to thrash
Sluttish...wet and miserable weather
Bufflehead....lacking intelligence or common sense
Nipper...a child
Chucky Pigs...the woodlouse
Latter Lammas....slow
Rattletrap...a car thats known better days
Slackumtrance...a slovenly woman
Pinchfart....stingy
Twickered...tired
Gally-Bagger...a scarecrow

And there are many more too...not all printable ;)

A went to the boozer with me marra’s to watch the toon on the tele. Seen these proper munter lasses walking on the other side of the street! Even the spuggies pegged it. Proper belta
I can't read that in Queen's English, I can only read it with a Geordie accent :lol:

I am born and bred Isle of Wight, and we have an "interesting" language that usually totally confuddles anyone not an islander.

Wiggle-waggles....the seeds of totter grass

Slackumtrance...a slovenly woman
Wiggle-waggles! That's adorable.

Slackumtrance is interesting! I use an older word for that, so we're going to more Victorian English. That would be a slattern. A word I'm trying to bring back into common use!

Here near Newcastle we have our own language of slang - see sentence below

Yeah translate that one
Uhm, well from what I can figure you are heading to the bar with your friend to watch cartoons on the TV. Saw some scary looking ladies, the sparrows even flew off. It was awesome?🤣
☠️

Uhm, well from what I can figure you are heading to the bar with your friend to watch cartoons on the TV. Saw some scary looking ladies, the sparrows even flew off. It was awesome?🤣
Almost.

The Toon is Newcastle United football club, so he's off to the pub to watch the Newcastle United match on the television (pubs often have enormous TVs usually specifically for the purpose of screening football matches)

'Toon' is how Geordies pronounce 'town'

Edit - pub is short for public house, a hangover from centuries ago when brewing was not an industry but something housewives did at home. Those who chose to sell their beer opened their homes for the public to buy it, hence public house.

I can't read that in Queen's English, I can only read it with a Geordie accent :lol:
Propa geordie like haha

I’m not geordie but do have a northern accent. Gets recognised instantly wherever I go haha

Almost.

The Toon is Newcastle United football club, so he's off to the pub to watch the Newcastle United match on the television (pubs often have enormous TVs usually specifically for the purpose of screening football matches)

'Toon' is how Geordies pronounce 'town'

EDit - pub is short for public house, a hangover from centuries ago when brewing was not an industry but something housewives did at home. Those who chose to sell their beer opened their homes for the public to buy it, hence public house.
Ahaha, that makes more sense. I was like, alright...each their own. We have sports bars and guys do that all the time, I should have known but I am not big into sports so that light bulb never went off. 😂

Slang words and local dialect is different in my opinion a slang word is know by the whole nation of origin not just the area of the country , Northumbria for example uses a lot of old Norse words because of Viking invasions, bairn = child coming from the Norse word barn meaning child
True slang words are kind of rare as they are just incorporated into the English language ( one mans opinion)

LOL a tosser is a wan ker. Your a fuplie tosser mate, is something you might say to a person who is being a doodle head. :)
You better read this fast coz the mods will probably sensor that.

Bob's your uncle means it's good to go.
To start a BBQ, you put some kindling under here and splash some fuel on it, then chuck a match on it and Bob's your uncle, mate.
yeh, but my Uncle is Larry... so can you please say Larry's your uncle. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back