English Slang

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Come to Montreal. We can pop down to the dep in that cul de sac for a flat of moose juice from out east. Leave your car in a parking and we'll grab some frites and head for balconville. Pass me 10 bucks and your coordinates so I can pay you back, and calice, we'll wake up on the clothesline.

A bit more slang from the North of England (or up norfffff as it is often called)........

Put wood in th'ole!
Dost tha' want summat eyt?
That's gerrin on me wazz
Am clempt
Av at make us some jackbit?
Si thee 'int fog

Happy to translate if required :D

I'm beginning to think I need to relearn English, but the question is: which one???

290131321_5292759214152368_5648521852763377559_n.png

I can think of many people that have been spuddling recently....

I’ll just throw in a bit of Doric from the north-east of Scotland… ((this is different of course from Scots (think Rabbie Burns) and Gaelic…))
Fit like a’bidie? (How are you all?)
Far yi fae? (Where are you from?)
Fit yi deein here? (What are you doing here?)
A’at boys a feel (that man is daft)
Iss een nae a’at een (this one not that one) …
Jist a puckle aaf I tap o ma heid like yi ken? This dialect is especially spoken in the Aberdeenshire countryside and even folk from Aberdeen city itself have been known to struggle to understand it…! But I think it’s brilliant, and very rightly is now being promoted in our primary schools, as for years, this was not encouraged at all, many other slang/dialects will be the same?

I’ll just throw in a bit of Doric from the north-east of Scotland… ((this is different of course from Scots (think Rabbie Burns) and Gaelic…))
Jist a puckle aaf I tap o ma heid like yi ken? This dialect is especially spoken in the Aberdeenshire countryside and even folk from Aberdeen city itself have been known to struggle to understand it…! But I think it’s brilliant, and very rightly is now being promoted in our primary schools, as for years, this was not encouraged at all, many other slang/dialects will be the same?
I love this! Not that I can understand a word but I do love that raw Scottish dialect. I found an old Scottish comic in a charity shop once called The Broons which I found hilarious and endearing, it was written (not quite as indecipherable as above) but with that definitive Scottish speech...I wish I still had it 🤔

Isn't this now just introducing another language

I love this! Not that I can understand a word but I do love that raw Scottish dialect. I found an old Scottish comic in a charity shop once called The Broons which I found hilarious and endearing, it was written (not quite as indecipherable as above) but with that definitive Scottish speech...I wish I still had it 🤔
Screenshot_20220721-083607_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here it is!

A bit more slang from the North of England (or up norfffff as it is often called)........

Put wood in th'ole!
Dost tha' want summat eyt?
That's gerrin on me wazz
Am clempt
Av at make us some jackbit?
Si thee 'int fog

Happy to translate if required :D
I’m from north of England (Newcastle) and most of this I don’t even understand lol but I do have similar versions of some of them

That’s gerrin on me wazz- I believe my version would be ‘that’s deeing me head in’

And ‘am clept’ - would be ‘am clamming’ for me

Oh yes, very familiar with that! There’s also another, even more well known publication - “Oor Wullie “ by same publishers. They are in Dundee so it’s more Scots/Scottish than Doric…!! As kids we would get an ‘annual’ of these comics for Christmas…
Will be looking out for Oor Wullie!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back