English Slang

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
I love English everyday language and slang terms. That comes with my love of British TV or should I say telly ? I mentioned the term "Bobs Your Uncle" in a thread and I hope I used it right. I think it means here's the situation , this is your solution , it's very simple. Bobs your uncle. There are many more than that but the all time winner comes to us from down under courtesy of @Colin_T "Randy little sods" meaning prolific spawners. Now I wonder , could we call @Essjay Guvnor ? I hope we can see more of these Englishisms pop up on the forum. And what exactly is a t****r ? Bugger if I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

connorlindeman

Wannabe Fish Guru
2x Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I love English everyday language and slang terms. That comes with my love of British TV or should I say telly ? I mentioned the term "Bobs Your Uncle" in a thread and I hope I used it right. I think it means here's the situation , this is your solution , it's very simple. Bobs your uncle. There are many more than that but the all time winner comes to us from down under courtesy of @Colin_T "Randy little sods" meaning prolific spawners. Now I wonder , could we call @Essjay Guvnor ? I hope we can see more of these Englishisms pop up on the forum. And what exactly is a tosser ? Bugger if I know.
Could you use "bobs your uncle" in a sentence?

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
And what exactly is a tosser ? Bugger if I know.
LOL a tosser is a wan ker. Your a fuplie tosser mate, is something you might say to a person who is being a doodle head. :)
You better read this fast coz the mods will probably sensor that.

Bob's your uncle means it's good to go.
To start a BBQ, you put some kindling under here and splash some fuel on it, then chuck a match on it and Bob's your uncle, mate.

connorlindeman

Wannabe Fish Guru
2x Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
LOL a tosser is a wan ker. Your a fuplie tosser mate, is something you might say to a person who is being a doodle head. :)
You better read this fast coz the mods will probably sensor that.

Bob's your uncle means it's good to go.
To start a BBQ, you put some kindling under here and splash some fuel on it, then chuck a match on it and Bob's your uncle, mate.
Ok but who is Bob?

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Back in the mists of history there probably was a Robert, but entomologists still haven't worked out who he was.
It's also used as "Robert's your aunt's husband"

Guv'nor is very much southern England. As is pissa. I'm a northerner :)

Fishmanic

King of the Jungle
Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
this blimey keyboard keeps stiiiiicking :lol:
monkey.gif

Last edited:

outofwater

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've heard most of these in New England, I guess the roots still have some mileage left in them here. But the specific aussie sayings or "guvnah" would be lost to most who either don't mingle with foreigners on a regular basis, or don't go trolling in other more obscure parts of the internet. Both of which I often do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Most reactions