Endlers are here!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sanj

Fishaholic
Reaction score
4 pairs have just been delivered today. The females are about 1", but the males are soooo dinky maybe 0.5", but i guess they are juveniles, even so i think the males grow to 1" at most.

Here is a pic to give you an idea of what they look like.

MaleEndlers.jpg

They are closely related to the Guppy, but are very possibly a seperate species and at the least a sub-species. They can interbreed with Guppys, but the male hybrids are sterile. However in a tank with guppys many hybrids can be produced so it isnt a good idea to mix them.

These fish are endangered in the wild and possibly extinct. They come from one lake in NE Venezuela which was next to a city dump. It is not know exactly whether this place has been filled in , but certainly is very polluted. There is possibly one other area where they maybe found.

It is therefore quit important to breed these fish true, i.e no guppies with them.

Hope you like :)

Endlers are smaller, but have much brighter body colouration than Guppys. There are some better photos than that one put couldnt post them.

Sanj said:
4 pairs have just been delivered today. The females are about 1", but the males are soooo dinky maybe 0.5", but i guess they are juveniles, even so i think the males grow to 1" at most.

Here is a pic to give you an idea of what they look like.

MaleEndlers.jpg

They are closely related to the Guppy, but are very possibly a seperate species and at the least a sub-species. They can interbreed with Guppys, but the male hybrids are sterile. However in a tank with guppys many hybrids can be produced so it isnt a good idea to mix them.

These fish are endangered in the wild and possibly extinct. They come from one lake in NE Venezuela which was next to a city dump. It is not know exactly whether this place has been filled in , but certainly is very polluted. There is possibly one other area where they maybe found.

It is therefore quit important to breed these fish true, i.e no guppies with them.

Hope you like :)
I think the hybrids are fertile.It is okay to cross them with guppies ,but you MUST KEEP THEM SEPERATE FROM PURE GUPPIES OR ENDLERS.

THey are nice fish who do not eat their young.Got 7 in my house(6 males ,1 female)a skewded up ratio and 6 fry.

Nice fish.YOU need to line breed them like guppies,just let them mate themselves and you will see your endlers producing all types of colours(provided they are from thre same endler strain)

JUst asking,are they from the same strain??

They are supposed to be pure Endlers and the males are all similar in pattern so i guess they are same strain. I wanted to get hold of more genetic variety, but most people seem to be in US who breed them.

I have seen mixed comments on hybrid viability, but Prof Endler made the comment that only f1 hybrids are produced, those males cant reproduce themselves. So I dont know. Either way my aquarium is guppy free.

I never been fond of guppies anyway, theyre to immobile and not actually that hardy.

Sanj said:
They are supposed to be pure Endlers and the males are all similar in pattern so i guess they are same strain. I wanted to get hold of more genetic variety, but most people seem to be in US who breed them.

I have seen mixed comments on hybrid viability, but Prof Endler made the comment that only f1 hybrids are produced, those males cant reproduce themselves. So I dont know. Either way my aquarium is guppy free.

I never been fond of guppies anyway, theyre to immobile and not actually that hardy.
I saw once on aquabid albino endlers.The owner said that they were crossed between albino guppies and endlers.THe peerson selling is someone reliable/responsible.Forgot the name of the person.

You said that the males look the same,you can buy a few more from other sources like endlers r us and get like 1 pair each form everystrain and you have a greater genetic diversity.UNfortunately,i do not live in the us,but in Singapore,a few breeders have endlers.

Hi Lee ann

did you get Endler R US to send you fish?

I am in the UK, one of the guys on there said it might be possible, but their site says it only delivers within US.

I am not aware of any company shipping livestock to individuals/mail order outside their countries. I am not sure the reason, maybe costs, maybe customs?

Maybe it sdoes happen and i just dont know?

I spoke to an Aquatic supplier yesturday, he said he knows a breeder and will find out. Maybe ill be able to get some variety.

Having spoken to a couple of stores, they said they had had them in the past (occasionally available), but that people do not buy them.

Strange because on some Endlers sites, they believe these fish could be very popular.

Anyway, i just want to do my bit to help secure a species which is endangered in the wild. :)

I want some peacocks, mine dont have that pattern :(

But as much variety as possible the better.

BTW my males are absolutleyt tiny, do thy get a bit bigger? Hoping an inch.

Sanj said:
Hi Lee ann

did you get Endler R US to send you fish?

I am in the UK, one of the guys on there said it might be possible, but their site says it only delivers within US.

I am not aware of any company shipping livestock to individuals/mail order outside their countries. I am not sure the reason, maybe costs, maybe customs?

Maybe it sdoes happen and i just dont know?

I spoke to an Aquatic supplier yesturday, he said he knows a breeder and will find out. Maybe ill be able to get some variety.

Having spoken to a couple of stores, they said they had had them in the past (occasionally available), but that people do not buy them.

Strange because on some Endlers sites, they believe these fish could be very popular.

Anyway, i just want to do my bit to help secure a species which is endangered in the wild. :)

I want some peacocks, mine dont have that pattern :(

But as much variety as possible the better.
GO to the UK guppy club.I got it from a member from the singapore guppy club.
I did not get from endlers r us.

Go to the uk guppy club website and post a thread like '' Anyone has endlers here" or something like that.

It will not be possible to ship form there but you can try reasoning with them ,but if they allow, they most likely will not compensate any dead fish.

I had a pair (my lfs had them down here in Essex).

However two weeks after we got them, we introduced some more fish, and our male Endler died within 48 hrs.......we don't know why. The female is fine, getting bigger.

That was now a few weeks ago......so we are hoping to pick up a couple/pair this weekend from another poster on here (fishyfeet) who lives about 10 mins away from us.

Good luck with yours.....

Hello Ava banana,

maybe your female is pregnant? you might be lucky.

So far they are ok, i have introduced some Julii Corys in there, dont think they will be a problem.

I am also trying to source some other pure Endler strains. I got these ones by mail order from Tri-mar. So if you wanted you could also look there. I think Jasons Aquatics also will mail them.

Im also hoping to fing Pygmy Swordtails, but they seem pretty rare at the moment.

Lol, the light just went off and they all grouped together and sank to the bottom...they gone to bed in a little group hehe.

I don't think my Tiger got up to an inch long, in fact most of his sons are not quite an inch, and they have to be hybrids, because i only bought the one endler. nobody told me not to put him with guppies when i got him, and he was glad. In fact i'm pretty sure he has grand kids, so I'm not so sure about them being infertile.
I am curious about the different strains. I don't think I even know what the females are suposed to look like. I've only seen them looking exactly like the one pictured on the first post, except for hybrids. I like my hybrids, but i haven't sold any yet, and if i do, I wil probably call them guppies, rather than try to pass them off as endlers, although 2 or three might look close enough. I talked to 2 people at the same store and one said they didn't want hybrids, but another said they would take them if they are pretty. Then again, someone at the same place said they might be sold as feeders if they aren't at least an inch long. No wonder i haven't taken any to the store yet.

Most reactions

trending

Back