Eheim Filter / Tank Size

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Garbolino

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Paul, the flow would depend on what fish you are going to stock, some like it fast moving while some like a gentle flow
My inlet is about 2inches from the bottom of my tank & my out let is at the opposite end of the tank approx an inch below the surface

Hello,

I have recently taken delivery of a Roma 125 tank with external Eheim 2071 Professional 250 filter.

I see on the spec of the Eheim that it is for aquariums of about 120 L and up to 250 L.  On the filter, I can slide the on / off lever and this increases and decreases the flow of water.  The question I hope to have answered is, what level should I have the lever / flow at?  As this is a 125 L tank (more like 110-115 L I suppose, now that gravel and ornaments are in it) what level should I leave the filter running at, would it be best to leave it on full flow or decrease the flow to half, or have it somewhere in-between the full and half?

Also, regarding the intake and outflow tubes, is there an ideal placement of these within the tank or am I good to have the intake at a bottom back corner and the outflow just above the surface on the opposite side? 

By the way, I am on Day 2 of my first fishless cycle using Ammonia, I am going to need to work on my patience with this over the coming weeks...  When the fish finally go in, should the level of the filter flow be adjusted or should I just leave it at the same level as I select (pending the outcome of my question above) during the cycle?

And am sure to have more questions for you experts soon!

Thanks,
Paul

For the moment while you are in the process of a fishess cycle it does not matter too much jabot flow output ust as long as water surface is being agitated to allow oxygen to be absorbed in water for the bacteria.

You intake and output pipes suggestion of at bottom rear corner and outflow can be below or above water, are just about right. Some people do not like outflow above water as this creates water noises continuously and gets annoying for some. I have my outflow set up below the water surface on my tank.

However when it comes to flow for your stocking and plants, you will need to research which species you would like to have in your tank to find out what kind of flow suits them best.

For example my Threadfin Rainbowfish do not particularly like fast flowing water so I turn the flow down to suit them and i have planted low tech plants that do best in slow flowing waters as well. 

Danios on the other hand are very active fish and would appreciate fairly fast flowing water, loaches tend to like this as well, some plants do fine in waters like vallis, java fern on rocks/wood.

Hope that helps for you and gives you some ideas what to look out for when comes to setting water flow from your filter to the tank. 
smile.png

Assuming you are not going to overstock, whatever is most comfortable for the fish that you get. For example, hill stream fish prefer faster flow, while fish that live in puddles are made for lower flow levels.

As above, it does not matter for the duration of the cycle.

That's great, thanks both, it makes sense.

And apologies this was posted yesterday as well  as today, I did not think that this had posted correctly (new to the forum thing)...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back