Eggs? or Algae growth?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alysun

Reaction score
Help! In my 13 years of having my freshwater tank, I have not seen this type of growth, or perhaps eggs? My two new angelfish, one parrot fish and nerites were introduced to my tank at least a few months ago. As far as I know my angelfish are male and the nerites are supposed to be non-reproductive. Otherwise the other fish are all tetras and have been in the tank for some time. Can you all advise what this may be? Thank you! :)

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 61
Will you please try to get a better picture? It's hard to make out.

They are not nerite eggs - those look like sesame seeds. Nerites are not non-reproductive unless you have only one sex. With males and females, they lay eggs everywhere but they don't hatch.

Angelfish do lay eggs which look like that - have they been hanging around this area?

Help! In my 13 years of having my freshwater tank, I have not seen this type of growth, or perhaps eggs? My two new angelfish, one parrot fish and nerites were introduced to my tank at least a few months ago. As far as I know my angelfish are male and the nerites are supposed to be non-reproductive. Otherwise the other fish are all tetras and have been in the tank for some time. Can you all advise what this may be? Thank you! :)
think it is the parrot!!!
you will have cute litle guys!!
1620931074018.png
they look like this (another forum)

Very cool. I'm with Essjay and leaning towards the angelfish. Nerites leave eggs everywhere (which is why I only had them once and never again haha) but I never had them lay them densely in one particular spot like that.

The angelfish should be hovering around that area and being protective if they were the ones laying them. Do you have good photos of the angels to where we can see the tubes between their tubes sticking out of their "belly" area? If one is protruding and blunt/squared then that's a female. Male tubes are pointy and not as pronounced, in my experience with them.

Since there's only one parrot fish there won't be any 'cute little guys', though I believe it is possible for a lone female to lay infertile eggs.
aww...

Since there's only one parrot fish there won't be any 'cute little guys', though I believe it is possible for a lone female to lay infertile eggs.
they may very well be angel eggs, cichlid eggs are hard to tell apart for me

In this case bp is blood parrot. But as there is only one parrot in the tank, if they are parrot eggs they are infertile.

Wellllll, all the eggs are gone...I think it must have been my convict parrotfish that laid them, as it started to guard the area, but the angelfish took care of them all. Very interesting sequence of events, and I thought I had purchased all male fish and snails, so I am going to give the aquarium store a call also. Thank you all for your excellent feedback and assistance :) Have a great day!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back