Ebay Killifish Eggs From China -do They Hatch?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishnovice

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Saw lots of different species of killifish eggs for sale on Ebay, 50 eggs for around 99p. They come from the Far East so would take 2 weeks to arrive in the post. How can fish eggs survive so long out of water? Would they actually hatch and if anyone has experience of hatching mail order killifish eggs, how did you do it?

How much was postage?
I have no idea but if postage isnt that much then maybe its worth a try :)

as amy says, if the postage isnt much its worth trying, but surely after 2 weeks of being shipped around, these fish will be very lucky to survive
keep us posted if you decide to do it :good:

They do work
All eggs will be of annual species and are packaged in peat (semi moist) They send you a lot of eggs in case of losses.
Please be aware though that going for such species as N. rachovi would be stupid as these are fairly hard to rear especially for the novice.
If you are contemplating trying this method I suggest you plump for Nothobranchius guentheri as your first attempt with this type of venture.
ATB
C

No this will kill them they need to kepet at room temp

i could keep them in room temperature or any temp, its just that im nt going to be hatching them as soon as i can. I just wnat them if I ver want to use them.

Northo eggs have quite a long lay by, it will depend on when the eggs were originally laid and picked.

Some species can wait months before they are ready to be wet and hatched.

Read up on the species before you think about it.

they have a time frame which is best for hatching, some need to be dried for several days then once in water they start to hatch, other take several months of drying (well kept moist).

some have been known to go a year or may be two but BigC would know more on that than me.

I was looking at these on ebay yesterday, the replies make interesting reading, I was considering a pack for my daughter as a project for her now empty tank, but thought the length of time in post would be a problem, if this is not the case then I might buy her a pack & do some research with her.

Let me know how you get on & which ones you choose FishNovice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back