Easy/ poor man piranha tank

skeelo

Reaction score
I really want some pirahnas but I don't know how to do it cheaply can it be done?

thanks

:p

In a word.............No

They need a large tank with very good filtration and can be quite choosy with their food. Tanks and filters can be found cheaply but it still takes money to look after them properly IMO.

skeelo (???) it depends on the species of piranha. The stereotypical red-bellies are shoaling fish in nature so should be kept in as large a group as possible, 6 being a good number, 4 being the absolute minnimum. They each grow to 12 inches as well and, if not well-fed and in a spacious tank, they will become canibalistic. The fish themselves can be quite expensive - not to mention the 250 gallon tank you would need to keep them comfortable!
However, there is, I believe, a solitary species that can be kept in a much smaller tank completely on its own. Finding and buying this fish could be expensive but the tank would be average. You'll need to do some more research to find out about this fish - I think it's called a 'black piranha' or something like that - can't remember.

It is most likely not a black piranha sylvia

I found
this website while searching info for convicts

Black piranhas need a large tank as they grow over 15 inches!
Better put a sign next to the tank

"Keep arms, legs and head of the tank at all times"

Oh well... you'll need to search for the correct name then.

How do you perform tank maintanance with a fish that wouldn't mind taking a chunk of flesh out of your arm?

Beats me lol... extra long tweezers?

I always wondered about people who keep electric eels... how the hell do you transport them? Maintainance must be a nightmare...

sylvia said:
Beats me lol... extra long tweezers?

I always wondered about people who keep electric eels... how the hell do you transport them? Maintainance must be a nightmare...
Just make sure you ground your tank at all times :p

The black piranha is $300 and can be kept solitarily

That's a really good question, how would you clean the tank properly? Magnetci cleaner maybe?

Matty said:
The black piranha is $300 and can be kept solitarily

That's a really good question, how would you clean the tank properly? Magnetci cleaner maybe?
The trick to cleaning a tank full of piranhas is to clean after you've fed them. Piranhas are timid :blink: fish, and do not attack everything that they see...unless it looks like food. They are pretty mellow after they have been fed. Also, make sure you wash your hands with soap (yes soap) and make sure you don't have any open wounds. If you do, use a pair of thick rubber gloves). At least this is what I've been told by a friend of mine that kept them for about 8 years. He still has all 10 fingers, so I know it works. :D

EDIT: one more thing...never ever hand feed your piranha. They can't distinguish wher the food ends and your hand begins. :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back