Easiest Plants to grow

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Have heard that you can grow Marsilea hirsuta as a carpeting plant in a no CO2 low tech planted tank so if anyone can confirm that please let y’a gal know as would love a bit of carpeting plant!! 😁
Yep. IME it take a long time to transition to its submerged form, but once it does it's an easy grower, spreads like crazy, and stayed under an inch tall.

Yep. IME it take a long time to transition to its submerged form, but once it does it's an easy grower, spreads like crazy, and stayed under an inch tall.
This is amazing news been dying for a carpeting plant for a while so will give the Marsilea hirsuta a go and hope for the best 😆🤣 ! Did have a go with some eleocharis acicularis ‘mini’ from tropica and it was a genuine FAIL 🤣 Probably needed a lot more high tech than I could offer 🤣

This is amazing news been dying for a carpeting plant for a while so will give the Marsilea hirsuta a go and hope for the best 😆🤣 ! Did have a go with some eleocharis acicularis ‘mini’ from tropica and it was a genuine FAIL 🤣 Probably needed a lot more high tech than I could offer 🤣
My problem with the hairgrass is that, having planted it in a sand substrate, the kuhli loach like to dig it up. :rolleyes:

My problem with the hairgrass is that, having planted it in a sand substrate, the kuhli loach like to dig it up. :rolleyes:
Oh my days those khuli loaches are not a plant’s best friend that is for sure!!!! 🤣🤣 Always used to lose mine and not see them for a thousand years 🤣 Apart from at night when they swam to the surface and made me jump out of my chair with the shock 🤣
I've never been able to get hairgrass to do a thing. I seem to recall it's actually a marginal, amphibious plant, not a true aquatic, and it requires a high-tech setup to really do well.
This makes perfect sense! Probably needs a lot of maintenance or tech to do well submerged 🥲 Hair grass was not the one for us this time then 🤣

My hairgrass is doing fine...sending out new growth and everything.

DSCN4193.JPG

Now if only I can sort out those wascally wabbi kuhli.
Elmer Fudd #2.jpg

09102021 001.JPG

DSCN4082.JPG

DSCN4037.jpg

New plants are racing towards the light (at the top of the tank) without very much growth. Long thin stems with leaves with space between the shoots. Looks different from the stage I bought them. They were more bushy now gone more spindly. I just remembered someone mentioned this could be a nutrient deficiency?

New plants are racing towards the light (at the top of the tank) without very much growth. Long thin stems with leaves with space between the shoots. Looks different from the stage I bought them. They were more bushy now gone more spindly. I just remembered someone mentioned this could be a nutrient deficiency?
"New plants are racing", followed by "without very much growth." !?!

This is where the cutting with sharp scissors* comes in, re-planting the cuttings next to the Mother plant.
Cut just above a leaf node.

*So as to avoid crushing stems.

Sounds to me like you need stronger light.

When you go to the LFS, what plants should you buy, what are the easiest to grow. No fertilizers, No special care. these plants will grow like weeds anywhere

Ludwigia natans ( repens )
Cardamine Lyrata
Ceratopteris cornuta
Myriophyllums all of them
Limnophila aquatica
Hygrophila polysperma

This is just a start, these are the fast growing easy plants that you should be putting in your tank first. Then try Java fern, Anubias and Crypts.
But please get the first list growing first.
If you have any other suggestions please add it to the list. This is about the first plants you put in your tank.
Shops hear never have more than half a dozen or so. Those names sound familiar, but I’m not up on plant ID yet. Did notice eBay sellers also offer the same limited selections which is good. I prefer more robust varieties over house showboats.

Oh no really
Well, I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe not. But usually fast-growing plants will get leggy and spindly if they aren't getting enough light--they're putting all their energy into getting taller instead of filling out. That's why I usually get rid of the fast-growers in my tanks, eventually. They get spindly and ugly after a while.

Well, I haven't read the entire thread, so maybe not. But usually fast-growing plants will get leggy and spindly if they aren't getting enough light--they're putting all their energy into getting taller instead of filling out. That's why I usually get rid of the fast-growers in my tanks, eventually. They get spindly and ugly after a while.
No it's just that I've got algae in the tank and I don't know what to do. And the plants is a distraction from it.

The trick is to cut them back and re-plant the cuttings near the mother plant.

"New plants are racing", followed by "without very much growth." !?!

This is where the cutting with sharp scissors* comes in, re-planting the cuttings next to the Mother plant.
Cut just above a leaf node.

*So as to avoid crushing stems.
I'm looking for some sharp scissors. Maybe a chemist I'll try next

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back