Dying fish, even though fish store says water fine

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Susantm

Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon aquarium. A few years back the fish died out gradually, so the tank sat for some time with just algae and water. About 4-5 weeks ago, I emptied the tank, cleaned the gravel, added new, dechlorinated water, new plastic plants, and a new filter pump.(rinsed them all off first) Then we put in a small shark, an algae eater, two swordtails, and two platys. After a couple weeks, the swordtails and platys had all died. I took a water sample to the fish store. The man there tested it for pH, ammonia, and nitrites/nitrates. He said it was fine. So I asked for hardy fish--added 4 tiger barbs and 2 black skirted tetras. Within a week, they and the algae eater were dead. I took in another water sample. They still said it was fine. Today the shark died ( a week later). I have done partial water changes 2 or 3 times over this time. The temperature has been right around 78 F. I have dechlorinated all water added.

I did not do any "cycling" as I did not know about that; however, the fish store said ammonia levels were fine. The only thing I can think of is that the bucket I used to add water had, in the past, been used for washing cars and had had soap in it. But I rinsed and scrubbed it well, and I used it for emptying the tank before I used it for filling it, so there shouldn't have been any soap traces left.

Any other ideas??

thanks!

a newcomer,
Susan M

Firstly, if you haven't done so already, please read my article on cycling a tank (follow the link in my sig).

Secondly, I don't think your LFS are trust-worthy and I note that you don't mention your nitrite levels the second time. At the point you had problems, nitrite is more likely to have killed off your fish than ammonia. There is also the possibility that the LFS either lied (and didn't do a test at all) or their testing kit is faulty or out of date.

I am highly suspicious because with that fish load, in an un-cycled tank, no ammonia or nitrite is simply not possible! Ammonia comes from fish pee and poop. What are they saying, that your fish weren't peeing? Or that the bacteria miraculously colonised the tank instantly? It simply doesn't make sense.

So, get yourself some testing kits (in date) - online is cheaper, and do your own tests. Meantime, I assume your tank is still cycling and follow the steps outlined in my article.

Don't worry - I'm sorry about the fish you've already lost, but we'll sort this out. Remember to black list your LFS - they didn't give you the right info, they have mislead you and they've been responsible for the death of your fish :angry:

The LFS didn't say there was no ammonia or nitrites, just that they were within normal levels. I know he did the tests both times, because I watched as he did them. And I doubt he would lie, because the fish store has to give me new fish, if their fish die but my water is OK.

I am just trying to figure out if there are any other possibilities that I do not know--other reasons my fish could be dying.

Thanks for replying, and I did read your article on cycling. Right now I do not have the materials to do that, but I will check into it. I have a pH test kit, but need to get the others.

Thanks again.

Susan M

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back