Dwarf Hairgrass Low Tech Carpet

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joe_Shafe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey I'm currently trying to carpet dwarf hairgrass in my 10 gallon tank. I'm running 26 watts of spiral CFLs and dosing micros and macros and liquid carbon 2-3x a week. All my plants are thriving and doing well but the hairgrass isn't doing much. I've had it for about 2 weeks and it hasn't died off but it hasn't spread at all and my cories keep uprooting it so it apparently isn't rooting well. So my question is, do I have enough light/ferts/carbon to get a good carpet from it or do I need to change something.

Thanks-
Joe :)

You have plenty, trim the roots a tiny bit to encourage new growth and do the same with the grass itself.

mind to post your tank photo here?
rolleyes.gif

Sorry for the late reply but I've been gone since Thursday. But yeah here's some pics of the whole tank and where the hairgrass is. I had more but the cories dug some of it up, but anyway here it is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeshafe/sets/72157631977478226/

your corys dug it up :( hmm im want to do the same but my tank has loads of corys and loaches :( would you recommend putting a net over it to stop the fish from getting at it?

I planted some in two tanks recent enough, all with corys and they haven't uprooted one yet and it's growing and spreading. I've got less light per gallon than you and the substrate is sand and no-one has been able to dig it out yet, even 5 clown loaches and 7-8 inch pleco that rather likes "resting" on top of it.

It's probably easy to uproot because it hasn't grown roots properly yet, I guess something is making it struggle. Is it getting enough flow at the bottom so no nutritients reaching, or too much flow that makes it float before it grasps to the substrate?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back