Dwarf Gourami Bloated?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

adam98150

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My male dwarf gourami looks bloated, just behind its fins (swimming fins) its like its swallowed a marble. Its not on the female.

What could this be, is he bloated?
Also, hes not feeding very well. (I got him a few days ago.)

Note that, in most cases, I would not jump to such a conclusion so quickly but, as it's a dwarf gourami, it's almost deffinately an internal bacterial infection (such as those which cause dropsy). If he stops eating, he won't survive. Right now, the best thing to do would be to isolate him and treat him a strong antibiotic. Also feed your fish only crushed, de-shelled green peas for a few days as well - just in case it's simply constipation.

I can't isolate him, dont have a spare tank...
As for the peas dont have any. But ill pick some up later. Hes swimming fine if that helps.

Feed the peas. If there's no improvement or he gets worse, treat the whole tank. Take care to monitor ammonia and nitrite levels if you start treating as antibiotics can often interfere with your biological filtration and you may find extra water changes are necessary.

Dwarf gourami from asian sources/strains aren't known for their hardiness. I lost two exactly the same way.
Meds didn't do a single thing.

They have bred the hardiness from them in favour of prettiness. I wish you luck but I don't have much hope for you.

Thanks for your help and advice, ill do the best i can with the gourami.

is this "bacterial infection" contagious??

could it spread?

cos weirdly enough, our neon dwarf gourami has JUST developed this "bulge" in its belly, which seems to extend towards the rear of the fish (bum area)

My dwarf passed away. :(
I did the best i could but it didnt help. It seems really hard to get rid of.

ohhh, thats too bad :/

dwarf gouramies are known to be very sensitive to changes in the water conditions -_-

Internal bacterial infections, such as those which can often lead to dropsy, are not highly contagious BUT, if the fish dies in the tank and other fish nibble on it, they are very likely to also contract the disease. Having said that, it's best to isolate sick gouramies - not only so the disease is not passed on, but also because antibiotic treatments can often cause problems with biological filtration and cause deadly ammonia or nitrite spikes that necessiate daily water changes and stress all the fish unecessarily.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back