Dry start, Annoying LFS, Manado

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Here in canada most full systems including the solenoid, regulator, all that fun jazz average about 150-200 CAD. You can probably get gas canisters in a lot of places but the tank itself costs a lot and the gas refills for a 5lb tank in Canada are about 30 CAD.

Did you successfully brew alcohol using an aquarium setup? I'm not of age to drink yet but I think being able to generate alcohol with my fish tank would make me pretty popular when I go to uni
Haha.

Watch me get banned for teaching underage folks how to make beer... :fun:

Home brewing is a thing, and a yeast powered co2 aquarium system technique is not a million miles away from it. Things like ale and mead are much more straightforward than spirits.
Living up to my username here...

Anyway, back to the topic of the board. Thank you for your co2 system advice, I'll look into costs here in the UK. I do love the challenge of the diy system and its damn near free too...

Just need to avoid future boom booms in the lab.

Update:

Went into the store again today for a look at new stock and met the owner. Told him about my project and he convinced me that monte carlo is going to be a nightmare on this inert substrate.

So... I bought some aquasoil, took out all my MC, dug out the manado and filled in an inch and a bit of soil before capping again with the manado and replanting the montecarlo. Threw in some root tabs while I was there.

Tedious but hopefully will set me up for a few years of good nutrition and a healthy carpet.

What a hassle...

May abandon this dry start and just give it a week for MC to re-root a little before flooding the tank and getting on with the enjoyable part.

I am a little happier with the scape now though and think the parh looks better as a valley like this. (Very much open to aquascaping tips in terms of plant layout).

20240131_160004.jpg

Attachments

• 20240131_155955.jpg
    20240131_155955.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 5
May abandon this dry start and just give it a week for MC to re-root a little before flooding the tank and getting on with the enjoyable part.
Don't forget about the moss!
What do you plan on stocking the tank with? 180l is pretty big.

Don't forget about the moss!
What do you plan on stocking the tank with? 180l is pretty big.
Yea the moss seems to have grown a tiny bit. I think my moss 'paste' will hold to the wood and I will use some explosive diy co2 when I add water.

In terms of stock, that's something I'm still considering. Definatly some ottos and tiny rasbora types. If my red cherries breed ill throw some over. Small things in general I reckon and quite a diverse range, that's what I'm after. Any suggestions?

Hatchet fish look great but I don't know what my lid situation is going to be as I'd like to grow house plants out the top.

I like these platys I saw today at the shop.

Attachments

• 20240131_115245.jpg
    20240131_115245.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 8
Yea the moss seems to have grown a tiny bit. I think my moss 'paste' will hold to the wood and I will use some explosive diy co2 when I add water.

In terms of stock, that's something I'm still considering. Definatly some ottos and tiny rasbora types. If my red cherries breed ill throw some over. Small things in general I reckon and quite a diverse range, that's what I'm after. Any suggestions?

Hatchet fish look great but I don't know what my lid situation is going to be as I'd like to grow house plants out the top.

I like these platys I saw today at the shop.
Why don't you try some rainbow species? The UK has a much more diverse aquarium community than canada so you might be able to find some cool rarer species. If you're interested in small you'll like the pseudomugil blue eye genus they're small and pretty and not difficult to breed(so I hear).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back