Dragon Goby And Freshwater Moray?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tropicman

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone my freshwater moray is coming this week and I was wondering if a dragon Goby would be a suitable tank mate the goby is around 6 inch and my moray which is coming is 20cm (supposidly) just a quick question would they live together ??????

Tropicman

If your stupid enough to put either one of these fishes in freshwater, then good luck to you, if not ignore the folowing paragraph. Heres a neat concept, actually bother to be less lazy and research fish before purchasing them! I am 99% sure that you will have a Gymnothax tile wich is not freshwater. If you are keeping this in your "Bow fronted Tank" then you will fail to keep this moray alive. The other fish here arent brackish except the goby. The Banjo cats are sort of fine for low-end brackish not capibal of living with any moray. Freshwater really is not good for the species of goby you have it needs brackish.If your tank is brackish read this,If the moray outgrows the goby it would be a problem. The moray would not tolerate it competing for cave space. Big morays and little morays dont work either, too much competition. I hope the salinity is above 1.010 for the moray and goby. If you need to up the salinity, start at 1.005 and work ur way up to 1.010, do not exceed a jump of more than 1 ppt per day. Also you need to use saltwater mix not the aquarium salt that is used in freshwater tanks. I use instant ocean sea salt, you can get this type of salt at pet stores.If your stupid enough to put either one of these fishes in freshwater, then good luck to you, if not ignore the folowing paragraph. Heres a neat concept, actually bother to be less lazy and research fish before purchasing them! I am 99% sure that you will have a Gymnothax tile wich is not freshwater. If you are keeping this in your "Bow fronted Tank" then you will fail to keep this moray alive. The other fish here arent brackish except the goby. The Banjo cats are sort of fine for low-end brackish not capibal of living with any moray. Freshwater really is not good for the species of goby you have it needs brackish.If your tank is brackish read this,If the moray outgrows the goby it would be a problem. The moray would not tolerate it competing for cave space. Big morays and little morays dont work either, too much competition. I hope the salinity is above 1.010 for the moray and goby. If you need to up the salinity, start at 1.005 and work ur way up to 1.010, do not exceed a jump of more than 1 ppt per day. Also you need to use saltwater mix not the aquarium salt that is used in freshwater tanks. I use instant ocean sea salt, you can get this type of salt at pet stores.

I think you really overact in your posts marine/freshwater :huh:

If they were planning on keeping it in fw, why would the op post this
thread in the brackish section?

Before you rant on again, try asking nicely if they are keeping it in bw or fw first :good:

Sorry about being touchy, just dont like seeing morays die. My first moray is a disaster. The petshop had it in freshwater with african chiclids. It had a 3 inch long deep gash down its belly i found when i got home. It fought for 1 hard month, it couldnt even move. He said he was keeping it with his goby which is currently in his freshwater bow front tank according to his profile.

Sorry about being touchy, just dont like seeing morays die. My first moray is a disaster. The petshop had it in freshwater with african chiclids. It had a 3 inch long deep gash down its belly i found when i got home. It fought for 1 hard month, it couldnt even move. He said he was keeping it with his goby which is currently in his freshwater bow front tank according to his profile.

No, by the looks of things (if his profile is up to date) your right.

I just thought that there wasn't the need to give a lecture with bold (normally meaning shouting) and angry smilies :good:

EDIT: for rubbish spelling

ya agree with marine/freshwater, morays are sensitive and shouldnt be treated as not a big deal

Tropicman --

Just to bring things back to an even keel... regardless of water chemistry, this combination would be risky. Moray eels have the potential to be quite aggressive, and if kept in communities at all, they need to be kept with larger and fast-swimming things, such as scats and monos. Also, while Echidna spp. tend to be more or less predatory towards invertebrates only, Gymnothorax spp. view any fish in the tank as a potential meal. Morays are practically blind, and their approach to hunting is bite something, and then see if they can kill it. In the confines of an aquarium, this can prove very unpleasant for any other fishes in the tank.

Dragon gobies are relatively mild fish that work best when kept with smaller fish, such as guppies and mollies.

As for water chemistry. With moray eels, while there may be one or two species that spend (almost) all their lives in freshwater in the wild, in aquaria at least this doesn't seem workable. Almost always, the moray goes "off its food" after a few months, and then starves to death. You need at least SG 1.005, and ideally 1.010, to maintain them for any length of time.

If you want an "eel" for a tank with gobies, keep your eyes peeled for spaghetti eels (Moringua spp.). These are traded in the UK, just not frequently. The better stores (like Wildwoods) get them in, and most stores able to order fishes should be able to place a special order. They look like half-sized morays, but feed exclusively on mosquito larvae and similar. They are very hardy, and will do well at SG 1.005. They are also very peaceful, and actually work well in groups. All they demand is sand for burrowing in.

Cheers, Neale

Hey everyone my freshwater moray is coming this week and I was wondering if a dragon Goby would be a suitable tank mate the goby is around 6 inch and my moray which is coming is 20cm (supposidly) just a quick question would they live together ??????

yeh it is a brakish tank which has been running for around 2 weeks now and i have a dragon goby which is a rescue from a store in blackpool where he was in freshwater with no supply of brakish conditions so i got him but he is perfect condition now and if he is not a suitable tankmate i shall take him to the lfs which has an excellent brakish department :good:

I am unsure of the adaptivity to different salinities of the white ribbon eel (Pseudechidna brummeri) but if you can get one eating well, they seem fine with fish and even ornamental inverts in a reef setting.

Due to the slender nature of these fish I highly doubt they would go for a dragon goby, though there may well be an issue with getting them to eat, as welol as whether a reef dwelling fish can survive at the lower salinity that the dragon goby tends to inhabit (though experiments seem to indicate most marine fish are far more euryhaline than originally thought).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back