Dosing Fertilizers etc

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Yogi

Reaction score
Currently researching a whole host of things so no doubt will be asking many more questions but At the minute I am looking to bottom out a plant additives route.

I will be setting up a large planted discus tank. I doubt I will try any plants that are too demanding but do still want to provide optimal conditions so would like a form of additive.

what I would like is to automate this as Iā€™m terrible for forgetting and not a fan of adding things on a weekly basis.

ive been looking at Ada products. Does anybody use them or know if they can be added via a dozer. I guess Iā€™m looking for a product that doesnā€™t require shaking before use or to be kept refrigerated.

Any opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

cheers
John

Currently researching a whole host of things so no doubt will be asking many more questions but At the minute I am looking to bottom out a plant additives route.

I will be setting up a large planted discus tank. I doubt I will try any plants that are too demanding but do still want to provide optimal conditions so would like a form of additive.

what I would like is to automate this as Iā€™m terrible for forgetting and not a fan of adding things on a weekly basis.

ive been looking at Ada products. Does anybody use them or know if they can be added via a dozer. I guess Iā€™m looking for a product that doesnā€™t require shaking before use or to be kept refrigerated.

Any opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

cheers
John
Hi mate

You mention you don't like adding things on a weekly basis. Most ferts require "daily" dosing. Having the plants with a aquasoil substrate they will absorb nutrients from the soil but the nutrients won't last forever. I would still dose with fertilizer though. I'm unaware of particular bands which need to be refrigerated?

I have a very small alarm clock I keep near my tank to remind me to dose everyday. I have taught my wife how much to put in incase I'm at work ect. It has now become second nature just to dose.

Everyone has different opinions and different needs from ferts Ive had success using ei (estimateive index) dosing that requires ALOT of work and other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head. Last tank I used seachem flourish which was good but can Cause algae blooms when first starting out.

I would say that if you aren't looking for plants that arnt too demanding anubias is always nice and easy. This particular plant will grow all be it very slowly but can be happy with out ferts some cryptanalysis will grow as well provided they have light.

I would definitely get the tank planted and well established before getting any discus. They are great fish they get a bad. Name on being super hard to keep needing perfect water conditions persistent water changes. Tank bread discus are much more Hardie than they used to be. See as long as there not stressed eat well and keep the tank clean there very happy.

Cheers for reply.

just looking through some products they give a weekly dose volume. For example Aquadip although I realise that you could calculate that down to equate to daily volume. I would be dosing daily myself hence me wanting to automate. I have the equipment so may as well use if I can.

Rather than the EI method I will take the Lean approach so almost just giving that background addition to help supplement the Aqua soil which I see you recommend too.

Yeah the Discus fish will be introduced later as want to have small shoaling fish and bottom feeders / shrimp in and established with a reasonable amount of plant growth first.

I have no idea if any need refrigeration once opened? Are you saying you donā€™t know of any that need to be kept refrigerated? I do see some that state shake before use which would be the other issue that would prevent auto dosing.

Appreciate you helping out ?

Cheers
John

So after much more reading I have decided to rule out the ADA product (I was looking at Brighty Green Product Range) and think I will go with an all in one fertiliser instead. Iā€™ve been watching a number of YouTube videos including some good ones from George Farmer that have helped me build a better picture.

I see the EI method encourages overdosing with a weekly 50% water change to help bring anything elevated down. This is too big a change for me to complete practically.

My plan is to perform a weekly 25% water change. I will be running a sump with heavy plant growth section to help absorb nutrients on top of the display plants to prevent algae taking hold.. I will also stick with plenty of shrimps, snails and bottom feeders to help with excess food and fish waste. This should also help keep water quality in check with the 25% change.

With my maintenance regime in mind Iā€™m looking to dose somewhere between lean and overdosing. As my tank matures I can adjust amounts based on what I see in plant growth, quality of colour and also any testing I carry out.

Hopefully my ramblings are making some form of sense but again would appreciate anyone chipping in to help advise.

Cheers
John

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back