Don’t understand my tank….

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I use osmocote root tabs in gelatin capsules in the substrate, would you reccomend switching to an actual pure root tab or is that also not worth it?

This is certainly one problem. These osmocote things are designed for terrestrial plants and they have a different nutrient requirement. High nitrate for one thing, and phosphorus. I know others use them and say thy are "OK" but that does not mean they are safe nor effective. You mention nitrates being higher (25-30 ppm) before the water change...that in itself is a sign of a problem. Nitrate should never vary in a tank with fish, and you want it to stay as low as possible. Most all species of aquatic plants we keep do not take up nitrate in a normal natural low-tech type planted tank with fish present which is what you have here. So adding nitrate (as with the osmocote) is useless anyway, plus it is impacting the biological system and fish negatively.

2. I do the dosing on the bottle which is 1 ml per 5 gallons thats once a week usually.
That is the dose recommended the bottle. What I wanted to know is how much are you adding?

The web site states:
ose: 1 pump(1ml) per 5 gallons 1-2x per week or as needed to maintain proper nutrient levels. Weekly 20-30% water changes are suggested but can be reduced depending on your tanks specific needs.
That means 15 ml once a week. But it also says as needed to maintain proper nutrient levels. Since you have a nutrient deficiency you should try dosing 2 times per week sccording to the instructions. YOU could also try a smaller or larger water change. Also since tap water is a major source of the calcium plants need try more frequent water changes. I personally do 50% once a week.

PH is 7.5 and I do not have the ability to check KH and GH I can if i bring it to the LFS though.
The PH can have a big impact on the amount of iron need. Some fertilizers degrade rapidly resulting in some or most of the iron becoming unavailable to the plants. Thrive uses DTPA Iron. This iron is stable up to a PH of about 8. So in your case you shouldn't have any problems with iron. I use this same type of iron in the fertilizer I make and based on my experience you don't have a iron deficiency.

The GH test detects calcium and magnesium. Thrive has magnesium sulfate which does dissolve easily. Calcium salts ( which Thrive doesn't have) does dissolve easily by itself in water, it often doesn't dissolve in a fertilizer bottle duets interactions with theater salts in the bottle.This means the major source of calcium your plants need is your water or your substrate. But if those don't have any you are likely going to have calcium deficiency. So please determine what your GH is. And if possible look up your local water utility water quality report which is often posted on the web. or utility web site. It probably does have typically calcium and magnesium levels.

If you cannot determine your GH or calcium and magnesium levels you could try using a GH booster.This will add calcium and magnesium. Boosting the GH level by 2 degrees would be enough to eliminate a calcium magnesium deficiency. If plant growth improves you likely have calcium and or magnesium deficiency issue. If plant growth doesn't improve it might be something else.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back