Doing Fishless Cycle First Time...

I was thinking of leaving them in the 10G, but with the sale of the 10G, just move them all over, increase the cories number and go from there. 6-8 cories, 4 platies, a betta and shrimp would be fine. You could increase the numbers of anything but the betta in the 29G.

Yes, you should be fine to move all of them over to the 29 gallon. I recommend that you increase Cory numbers to at least 10 of the same species.

Bettas are not always compatible with platys and shrimp, it does depend on the individual.

Yes, you should be fine to move all of them over to the 29 gallon. I recommend that you increase Cory numbers to at least 10 of the same species.

Bettas are not always compatible with platys and shrimp, it does depend on the individual.

Yeah, I thought I'd be ok with moving them all over to the 28. I'll increase the corys and probably a few more shrimp. Not completely sure about the betta because I think he's getting pretty old and he's having a hard time getting over some fin rot. We'll see though. If I don't add a betta, is there anything else I could put in there with the rest of the fish?

What are your water parameters, the dimensions of the new tank, decor?

What are your water parameters, the dimensions of the new tank, decor?

It's a bowfront so the width on the sides is 12" while the width at the center is a little over 15". The length is 24" and the height is about 18". I did my weekly water test today and water parameters are the same as they've been since the tank has been stocked:

pH: 7.8-8.0
ammo: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: seems to be between 20 and 40...reading doesn't really match anything on the test paper. It's been this way since the tank has been stocked. It's a very vivid, bright orange, which on the API test kit doesn't really match anything. There are 2 different shades of orange for 10 and 20 ppm, but this is a brighter more vivid reading so I put it between 20 and 40 because 40 is the color red.

I didn't test kH or gH this time. The readings since I've done the test on both have been consistent that my water is very hard. gH usually reads around 60 and kH usually around 180.

My decor right now is a layer of CaribSea FloraMax with a layer of pool filter sand on top, a 12" piece of mopani driftwood, 1 java fern, 6 stalks of anacharis, 1 banana plant, 1 cryptocyrne, 2 small amazon swords. I plan on getting a lot more plants. I recently increased the light from 6 hours to 8 hours because it doesn't seem like I'm getting a whole lot of growth. All the plants look pretty healthy, but they're just not growing very fast. I got some SeaChem root tabs and put them near all the plants in the tank and have noticed some new growth since then, but the plants aren't actually increasing in size very much. It's only a single fluorescent 18" bulb. I think it's something like 8000K full spectrum daylight and 15 watts as all the 18" fluorescents are. Now that I'm moving to a 28 gallon, will I need more lighting? The 28 gallon actually has the same 18" single bulb fixture I have right now. I was thinking about getting one of those new led fixtures, but they're a little pricey so I'm sure I'll have to wait til Christmas for any hope of getting that for the tank, LOL!

The bottom area of the new tank is almost same as that of a standard 10 gallon, so I wouldn't change numbers of fish much.. I would say that maybe 8 Corys total is a good number to aim at, in that case. A few more ghost shrimp would also work, but I'd personally leave it at that. There aren't really many centre piece fish which are compatible with your water and tank size.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back