Doing Fishless Cycle First Time...

You read right about 2", making them far too large for the tank.

Yes, Julii are schooling, just as every other Cory species is.

No, they will not do as well in a small group and in a small tank as they would have done in a large group, in a large tank.

For feeding platys, etc, twice per day as much as they can completely finish in 30 seconds, 1-2 times per week replace dry food with live (including frozen) and one day per week do not feed anything at all. For Corys, feed 1 pellet each per day until adult, then feed 1 every other day once they are adult.. what food do you have for them right now? It is well worth getting the meaty type of pellets for the Corys, not the algae type.

I bought the Omega One Shrimp Pellets because that was all they had. Sorry I didn't follow recommendations. I may get another tank when income tax season comes around, but that's a few months away. What would be the problems caused by having the Juliis, and in a group of only 4? My filter seems to be able to handle the load without any problem. I saw that I had a slight ammonia increase last night after I added them, but this morning my levels are at 0. I have a C2 filter and still have the cycled filter floss I got from PETCO. I plan on keeping that old filter floss in there at least another week or 2. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a little piece in my filter permanently right?

So as far as switching tanks, I would be able to basically break down my 10G and start up my larger tank the same day while using the same filter and wouldn't skip a beat on the cycle? Like I said, I have a Fluval C2. Would I be able to go as large as say a 29 gallon tank with that? Just move the water out of my established tank into the 29, along with my filter and plants and everything?
Shrimp pellets should be ok, they are normally meaty.

Mostly behaviour problems, they are usually not be as active as they normally should be.. there might also be stress problems when they spawn. Main problem would be stunted growth, which they are likely to experience even now, unless you keep doing large water changes as part of your regular maintenance.

You should be ok to upgrade like you suggest, that's what I do normally and have never had any problems that way. I also dump in a load of stem plants normally (I like my tanks planted), so if there were any problems with ammonia, the plants may just use it up. Do still test and be ready for water changes.. but as I said, I've never had any problems upgrading that way.. also, if you upgrade to a tank that big, you could always get 10 more jullii! :D

I'd love to upgrade to a 29g but my wife isn't too keen on it at the moment. Maybe if I get her something nice she'll give in. Lol!

About a week into the addition of my fish and my water test looked good. No reading on anything but nitrates and it's either at a 10 or 20-40. The new male platys are getting along very well. A lot better than when we had the HiFin platy who was terrorizing the other 2. Both the platys and the Juliis swim against the glass a lot, but from everything I've read that's pretty normal. I guess they just like their reflection. I also added a banana plant yesterday and I like the way it looks a lot. Also got a pack of the bulbs with a water lily bulb and some onion plant bulbs. I've got an onion bulb floating right now to see if it will start to sprout. I guess if I want some vallis I'll have to buy it online because no lfs has them. :sad:

Both the platys and the Juliis swim against the glass a lot, but from everything I've read that's pretty normal. I guess they just like their reflection.
Or they've just run out of swimming space.. this behaviour is most common in small tanks and I have never observed it in large tanks from those or similar fish.

Btw, I'm not trying to have a go at you, or anything.. just adding pointers!

I guess if I want some vallis I'll have to buy it online because no lfs has them. :sad:

Really? I can't think of an LFS local to me that doesn't have vallis. Whereabouts are you?

Btw, I'm not trying to have a go at you, or anything.. just adding pointers!

Thank you, cause it really feels like you are, LOL! I know I'm not doing things exactly how it is recommended. Hopefully I'll be able to move up to a larger tank in the near future. I really wish I would have gotten a larger tank from the start because now I read that 20 gallons is about the smallest you should get with tropical fish, but I didn't know. I initially got the 10 gallon only to treat my sick betta and they were running a great sale on them at the lfs so I scooped one up quick. I had always known about getting the largest tank possible because the larger the amount of water the more stable it is, but I just went ahead and got the 10 anyways. It's a learning experience. At least I feel like I'm really learning some stuff though. Even though I may not have the ideal set up, I have listened to all you guys have said and have learned from it. I just want my fish to be fine and do well, even if I haven't given them an optimum setup at the moment.

I am actually addicted to small tanks, and I think they're amazing (although I do like large ones too!) mostly because from years 4 to 8-10 of my fishkeeping experience, the biggest tank I had was a 5 gallon! I really got into the tiny fish like rear livebearers, unusual Bettas, small oddballs.. there are 100s of species which do really well in those tanks :) If you like to see one possibility, you can follow my new 15 gallon: http://aquariumadventure.wordpress.com/ ; I'm still cycling it, but it looks like fish will go in soon!

Edit: soon is like at least 3 weeks away >.<

I am actually addicted to small tanks, and I think they're amazing (although I do like large ones too!) mostly because from years 4 to 8-10 of my fishkeeping experience, the biggest tank I had was a 5 gallon! I really got into the tiny fish like rear livebearers, unusual Bettas, small oddballs.. there are 100s of species which do really well in those tanks :) If you like to see one possibility, you can follow my new 15 gallon: http://aquariumadventure.wordpress.com/ ; I'm still cycling it, but it looks like fish will go in soon!

Edit: soon is like at least 3 weeks away >.<

Cool! Thank you. I'll definitely take a look at it. You've been a lot of help in case you didn't know!

Just some new pics with the banana plant in it. Really nothing special.

Attachments

• Aquarium 7-22-11 001.JPG
    Aquarium 7-22-11 001.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 32
You'll all be happy to hear I recently picked up a used 28 gallon Marineland bowfront(Euro) aquarium. Got a filter, 100 watt heater, magnet glass cleaner, and light strip with it. Also got a digital thermometer with it, but it turned out not to work. Paid $40 for everything which is a little high, but I like the bowfront. Plus got a back up filter with it in case I need it. The 10 gallon is currently stocked with 4 platys, 4 Juliis, and 2 ghost shrimp. What would you guys suggest I stock from here on out? Definitely don't want anymore platys. Will probably be adding a Betta fish. And I know I need at least a couple more corys. I'll add at least a couple more ghost shrimp as well. They seem to be doing great in the 10 gallon! I guess I'll probably be maxed out at 6 Juliis, 4 platys, 1 betta, and around 4 ghost shrimp?

That would probably make you overstocked.

If I were you, I would setup the 28G, and after it is cycled move the cories to that and increase the number to 10. ;) Then, I would look into some other mid-waters for the 28G. Once the cories are out of the 10G, you could add the betta and increase the shrimp numbers to 12 or more. Shrimp have a very little effect on the bioload.

That would probably make you overstocked.

If I were you, I would setup the 28G, and after it is cycled move the cories to that and increase the number to 10. ;) Then, I would look into some other mid-waters for the 28G. Once the cories are out of the 10G, you could add the betta and increase the shrimp numbers to 12 or more. Shrimp have a very little effect on the bioload.

What about the platys? I'm selling the 10 gallon to a friend so I need to move everything to the 28 gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back