Does A Tank Require Recycling Following 5Hr+ Travel Time?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

buggalooshrimp

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Because I like getting ahead of myself, I would like to ask if a tank needs to be recycled following my pilgrimage to college--a harrowing journey that will need about 5-6 hours (more time, if my parents decide to make some stops--i don't have a driver's license yet, hehe) of driving time.

Some details...
  • one (1) 10 gallon tank
  • a handsome betta fish
  • some live plants
    of the bamboo/vine varieties and possibly some actual aquatic plants

I would also appreciate any help regarding the tank/tank water transportation method (i.e. how i might transport the bae; whether I should leave some water in the tank itself for the plants).

Oh, I should definitely mention that my tank is not yet cycled (and the handsome guy living in an uncycled, smaller tank), so, in the postscript and non-obligatory spirit: how would I ammonia-source cycle a tank that has semi-aquatic/aquatic plants?

Thank you very much for your time!
Jennifer

You will want to cycle your ten gallon first after this when you goto college take the filter media out of the filter and keep it wet in a bucket or bag of tank water the same should be done with the substrate as well. So you can take all the water out of the tank and when you re set it up just add the gravel then your decor then also put the filter media back in and add your, boom ready for betta. Make sure to re-acclimate the betta because the water will be totally different.

Lots there to discuss... Bettas really do need a properly cycled tank, with a heater and filter. Live plants are great for them as well, and they will aid the cycling process. Some low need plants like Java fern, anubias, and some floating varieties will also be nice. The floaters, like hornwort, wisteria and duckweed will help to draw the ammonia from the water, while also providing shade for the fish to feel more comfortable hiding in.

The journey itself will be of little to no consequence to the cycle since it is for such a short duration. That said, it can be much more I difficult for the little fish. Bagging the fish in a large bag, like a 1 gallon zip top bag would be a good start. Fill it about 1/3 of the way with water, and blow air into the bag to add extra oxygen. Also putting this into an insulated cooler would be good too to keep the temperature of the water more stable, and the fish would be more secure in the dark. Bringing some of your old water, maybe 3-5 gallons would be good, but not in the tank. Tanks are very susceptible to cracking during transport if there is weight inside and it goes over a bump while even slightly off of level. But, this old water will help to keep the water parameters more in line with what the fish is used to. If that's not practical, just acclimate the fish as you normally would when getting the fish for the first time.

Don't feed your fish for a day or so before transit to keep waste down to a minimum. He'll be just fine.

Meanwhile, with your current unicycles tank... You need a test kit for ammonia and nitrite. These are the two dangerous chemicals that can kill your fish. Post your results and someone will help you along the process with the fish in procedures. Just a little math and chemistry will keep your fish healthy throughout all this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back