Do you know what kind of pleco this is?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lo Ki Gorgeous

Reaction score
Hi guys

I recently got a 54 litre (14.2 gallons) aquarium from the Danish equivalent of Craigslist.
It had this beautiful pleco in it and the lady said that she THINKS he (or she) is fully grown.
He/she is about 9-10 cm (3.5 - 3.9 inches)
As far as I know most plecos can get quite big..
Is there any way of telling what species he/she is? Whether they will grow bigger or not.
Just so I can start saving for a bigger tank if it turns out to be a type that will get much bigger still.

The cutie is so darn cute and derpy! was so shy at first but is definitely becoming braver by the day.

Thank you in advance 😊
20220324_200336.jpg
20220324_200422.jpg
20220324_200509.jpg
20220324_200444.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a common bristlenose catfish. They grow to about 4 inches. Males have the bristles on the head, females don't have any or only a few small bristles.

It looks like a common bristlenose catfish. They grow to about 4 inches. Males have the bristles on the head, females don't have any or only a few small bristles.
Oh so it's called a catfish in English? I had no idea!
And he's a male who's probably fully grown then :)
Thank you so much for this, you're an absolute legend for knowing all these things and being willing to help a noob like me out.
Thank you so much!

Here's a pic of my female BN catfish. She has bristles, but they are not normally visible. She has patches below each eye that she can inflate when she is threatened. It's like having an inflatable toilet brush under each eye. The males have bristles permanently round the whole head area.
PXL_20220206_170527999.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back