I don't even know anymore

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JassyR

Reaction score
So, the story of my betta fish (btw in the end the question is mainly about fin rot)
My family and I left in December last year to go on a big trip so we moved my 20 gal tank I had to a friends house while we were gone - we had to move it because we also sold our house right before we left and hadn't gotten a new one yet. Anyway, I came back and they had added 2 new fish. A pleco, the species of which I'm still trying to determine, and a betta, he is blue with some navy blue almost black mixed in. I honestly don't know whether or not he is a short fin or long finned betta. Yes - I know they shouldn't have done that. However, they are old enough to be my grandparents so oh well. Now, the betta was in with 2 angels and 1 pleco and 1 pictus catfish. I know it was overstocked. So, we took the tank back to our new house and got it all set up and one day I was looking at his fins and noticed they were considerably smaller and looked ragged on the edges. So, I did some research and figured it was fin nipping. Then the next day I caught the angles in the act of fin nipping. So, I took the betta out and had to resort to putting it in a glass bowl :( There I noticed the edges of his fins were definitley more black than they used to be and his ventral fins almost looked bloody, like a clear fin covered in blood - I was thinking fin rot. I HATED keeping him in there and I was determined to get him out. I was keeping up with weekly water changes and cleaning the gravel. I recently bought a 55 gal, so I could move the fish from the 20 gal to the 55. I havent gotten all the stuff to properly cycle the 55 so in the meantime, I figured that it would be better for him than a little half gallon bowl, so I filled the tank up abt 3-4 inches and added some decor from an established tank, and a little heater. I also bought some betta fix and he has been doing that for a little while. His fins have grown back so much! They still definitley arent all the way better, but they are getting there. However, his ventral fins haven't gotten any better! Why? Is this fin rot? He seems really happy right now, he eats vigourously, is incredibly smart for a fish, and is active. If it is fin rot, what should I do? I was planning on buying antibiotics.

Now, this next section is about betta care
In addition to the two tanks above, I have a 3.5 gallon that I rescued. It had 3 danios and a (at least I think) common pleco. It looked like it hadnt been cleaned since they got it and to make it worse, it was all neon decor. I mean, I cannot even tell you how dirty this thing was, even the filter hadnt been changed since they bought it! Obviously, I cleaned and replaced decor, but I was planning on moving my betta to the 3.5 gal when I get ready to set up the 55 - after rehoming the danios and pleco in another one of my tanks. I was going to fill it with sand, buy an appropriate sized heater and light, and some plants. I was thinking of making a cave with rocks and planting some java fern, java moss, and maybe adding a snail or a marimo moss ball. And, possibly adding floaters because I heard bettas don't like bright light. How does this sound? Any betta tips? I have literally fallen in love with my betta - I haven't done that with most of my fish. He is my FAVORITE. Any and I mean anything to make him happier - just tell me please! I want the best for him and I plan on eventually upgrading him to a 7 gal cube.

How does this sound? Any betta tips?
It sounds like a great plan. Make sure you add a filter with slow flow, HOB (add a filter intake sponge so his fins don't get sucked in) or sponge filter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back