Do Goldfish Need Aquarium Salt?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No. you can add salt if there is a problem as it helps to reduce stress, but for general care no salt.

Yeah only add salt if there is any sickness or problem in your tank.

Goldfish can survive without salt in their tank but in my experience I find they normally thrive, like mollies, if there is a constant low-level of salt in the tank. When I say this I refer to fancy goldfish not common goldfish.

I think aquarium salt is a complete waste of money unless you are using it in relatively high doses to remedy something.
Lots of people use it in stupidly low doses and claim it's good for the fish, but nobody can actually prove it it.
Nothing personal against anyone who uses it, but this myth is one of my pet hates ;) .
There was another topic on it not so long ago that you should read for more info here: aquarium salt.

Think about it logically, why would adding very low doses of Sodium chloride help our fish in the slightest?
And is there ANY real evidence to support it does?

I really wish people would research or at least think about it before wasting their money on what IMO is snake oil, and you have by asking here but unfortunately that's not always enough with lots of aspects of fish keeping .

But make up your own mind based on the evidence,:).
If for some reason you still want it, I would advise you don't buy it in the form of 'aquarium salt' - as Sodium chloride will always just be Sodium chloride, and there's no point in paying extra for it in a fancy packet from your LFS :good: .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back