Diy Spray Bar To Reduce Flow Rate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

boshk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Juwel RIO 125 tank with standard 500L/hr pump but the current is huge.....

I can see my tetra and Rasbora swimming or blown around by the current.

I put pellets in and within 5 secs the current has pushed them to the bottom.

Will a DIY spray bar attached to the pump produce 'calmer' conditions? 

I have the standard nozzle pointed slightly upwards so its breaking the surface

I'mn not familar myself with this filter, but can you face the spray bar towards the side of the tank where it's attached to diffuse the force of the current?

Or attach a sponge to the outlet which should reduce the amount of water the filter can take in, thereby reducing flow.

I cannot remember where I read but if you are up for a little DIY then you can enlarge the holes in the spray will reduce the force that the water is ejected out. At the moment it is being sprayed ,with larger holes it will start to reduce the flow. Another possibility to assist it take the end cap off the spray bar and let the water escape from there as well. There are many such things you can do it just depends on whether you want to butcher your equipment a little.

As I wrote, I read it somewhere, this is not my idea and I have not tried it myself. All the same I hope this helps.

this is the filter I have.

I was thinking of making a DIY spray bar to attached to the black nozzle....

Attachments

• juwel_bioflow_3.0_filter_system_600l_h_2.jpg
    juwel_bioflow_3.0_filter_system_600l_h_2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 159
It will indeed have the effect you're thinking of, and no, it won't be difficult to make, provided you can find a pipe and end-cap of the right diameter...

Yes, I have made diy spray bars in the past and have had varied success with this.

As mentioned earlier, enlarging the spray bar nozzles and/or taking the end cap off the end of the spray bar will help reduce flow.

Also you can direct the spray bar nozzles towards the rear glass at back of tank, this will reduce flow considerably.

The longer the spray bar the less flow towards the end of the spray bar, the shorter the spray bar the more force water will eject from the nozzles.

Its all trial and error to find what works best for you.

If you make a spray bar, just be sure you have enough holes in it that the flow rate through each one can be slow. All of the turbulence will end up inside the spray bar instead of in the open area of your tank. If at first you find the spray bar is still stirring things up too much, make the holes a bit bigger to reduce the velocity of the water coming through them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back