Diy Lighting With Cfl Bulbs... Opinions?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Maddy

Reaction score
Alright so I've seen some people doing their own DIY light fixtures using CFL bulbs for their aquariums. I was thinking I would try this since it's super cheap and I am also cheap so I'm not about to spend a ton of money on lighting. I'm new to all of this so of course I bought tons of light-sucking plants before reading about how much they needed. I have baby tears and water sprite growing so I'm pretty sure I need to upgrade from my standard TopFin 29 gallon (17 watt I believe?) lighted hood to something with more power.
The plan was to go out to Walmart this weekend and pick up two (maybe 3?) clip-on lamps and install two of these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-CFL-Light-Bulb-42-Watt-150W-Equiv-2-Pk/5684723
(Don't worry, I'll be getting a glass hood if this all works out for when I put my fish in the tank)
Do you guys think this is enough lighting? And is it, more importantly, a good idea? I reaaaally don't want to spend upwards of $100 on lighting- everyone around me is already looking at me like I'm crazy for buying a piece of 8 inch long driftwood for $15.
By the way, tank dimension is 30-3/16"L x 12-1/2"W x 18-3/4"H

On a side note and kind of irrelevant, I also have about an inch and a half on the bottom Eco-Complete as well as about an inch or so of regular black sand on top of that. Should I invest in some liquid Co2 and fertilizers? If so, what kind?

If I were using that many of these I'd get some liquid carbon and full ferts but if you want to go low tech just get one with a reflector so you don't waste the light.

those lights will cause a algae EXPLOSION within days no question asked. I would stick with one maybe two... just maybe if you wanted a challenge. if you go 3 your going to want to get co2 or a crap ton of floaters to diffuse that light.

LOL hate to bring back an old topic but you were so right.... a major wave of algae hit my tank like 2 weeks ago and it's EVERYWHERE! But I don't mind scrubbing it off every now and then :] Though it's rather irritating trying to get it off the leaves of the plants...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back