DIY CO2

I check mine with one of those digital PH meters. I have hard water (3 deg KH, 11 deg GH) and a high PH (7.8ph) to start with and a 55Gal tank. The CO2 does not seem to change my PH much maybe +/- 0.2PH worst case, but I know it's working because when I use it I have to prune twice as much as a do when I don't use it. Another possible cause to the seemingly little change may be that my diffuser isn't very efficient but it does hold about a cup of CO2 below the water surface with anymore than that overflowing and bubbling up to the surface.

Update again...

I am getting bubbles now coming out of the tube like before but im only gettin one large bubble in a larger period of time. is this because im not using an airstone.

When the bubble comes out of the tube and rises up into the gravel vac it gets to the top of the vac then pops. I dont think this is right. In the gravel vac the water is being replaced with the CO2 gas. is this right?

Need more help folks... :unsure: :p :/

Give up and buy a Nutrafin co2 kit, that's what I did. LOL

I probably will soon but they dont sell them round here..... :(

I dont know if i will buy one because im very close to quitting keeping fish because i just get one problem after another when im not doing anything wrong at all so it would just end up being a waste of money.

Its so frustrating sometimes when you spend loads of money and you just get more problems thrown back at you which makes you end up spending more money and so on. Thats what fishkeeping is to me.

Just had to let that out, although i could of gone on longer much longer.... :crazy: :grr:

All happy now because i dont know if i havent noticed before since i upgraded my lighting but today ive seen my Hygro poly pearling :D :D

One thing that concerns me is that the HP leaves are getting browny spots on them, this is a lack of nutrients right?

Sounds like a right rollercoaster of emotions you're experiencing!!

Are the brown spots on new or old leaves. I had the same on old leaves and the new leaves were a pinkish hue. I put it down to lack of Nitrates and Pottasium and sure enough NO3 read zero. Now I add Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) every week to acheive 2 to 5 mg/l NO3. 100 grams cost me about £3 and should last about 2 years!!

The brown spots are mostly on the new leaves yes. Also is stunted growth a lack of nutrients as well because ive had the H for over 2months now and its still only halfway up the tank?

I have read your other post where you get the Potassium Nitrate from. ;)

I have some Tetra Plant Flora pride liquid fert which i havent used for ages, i brought it ages ago. It says it contains iron, manganese and potasium. Would you reccomend using this for now, until i order some of the Potassium Nitrate?

I promise there will be no more questions...lol :p :D :unsure:

Have you tested your Nitrates yet. I wouldn't add KNO3 until you're sure you have a very low (<2 mg/l) reading. Here's where I got mine.
http://www.gardenchemicals.co.uk/pdt_potassiumnitrate.htm

Try a little of your fertiliser, it may help if you are planted heavily enough and are showing good signs of growth already on your other plants. Be careful though as too much iron will trigger algae.

edit- ask away, glad to help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back