DIY Betta barracks

rollntider

Fish Herder
Reaction score
after wanting to build a betta barracks and searching for plans online. I was less than pleased with what I found. Some used food safe water hose with holes poked in them, to the black plastic tubing you find in hardware stores. I wouldnt trust that to be my waste lines let alone use it to keep my bettas alive. :eek: I finally decidedthat good ole' American made PVC was the way to go. Nowthe delimma, how to I drip the water to my cups?
First I measured my PVC tothe length of my shelf, it is 32 inches long I will make my PVC runs 30 inches long. I experimented with a few of the drip emitter things and tried my best to get the plastic the emmiters were made from to bond or chemical weld with the PVC. It wasnt going to happen. Silicone didnt hold after 24 hours :crazy: ok time to panic!!!!! :S Ok let me look at those barrack places again I have fvisited so many times over the days and weeks of planning. All of them use those darn plastic emmiter tubes. no sir not me they wont hold with PVC. The bettersones use FDAapproved water hose and almost went that route , but I wont be houseing 100 bettas on this fella either.

I went to my local ace hard ware and cried on his shoulder and told him what was happening. Turns out he is a fish nut like me and we end up talking fish :rofl: oh wait :unsure: Ineed tobe working on this thing. Well dude Imay just gothe water hose route after all...but wait he comes to an idea. Threaded barbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: Thats it!!!!

(continued)

post-22-1088930812.jpg

3/16 barb x 1/8 MIP Is the deminsions.
This is my thing i needed. I figure out how many holes I needed , and drilled out 14 holes , one for each barrack on my shelf.
Ok now the holes are drilled slightly smaller as seen in the image below, It is for the tap that you see in my hand. I had this item formany years, and not sure ofthe cost. I would imagine they may cost around $60-70 american, but that is a guess.

post-22-1088931048.jpg

post-22-1088931303.jpg

Ok now I use this tap to make threads for the brass fittings we were discussing earlier. I basically just "screw" this into the hole and thread will form inside the 3/4" PVC.

post-22-1088931526.jpg

Ok now dothat to your pipe. , go ahead I will wait ...... -_- ok now after every hole is drilled and "tapped" you can test and see if your fittings "fit" like so. Ok I am at a stopping point and wil lresume this tommorow (hopefully) if I do anymore to it. I am adding pics as I build this fellow. I will update as I go so you can follow the progress,thanks....

Still waiting on my barbs to come in and they dont have Brass (only Nylon). They were sent 2 other times and the wrong ones were delivered. I am giving them one more chance and they should be here this week. If not I will order them from the internet.

325Pilot said:
What is a Betta Barracks?
It is a continuous drip system with central sump made for housing male bettas. Each betta has its own container, but they all share the same water.

Any update on this project anyway?

Hi!
I just want to know where did you bought the drip emitter in the photo at. I would also like to know were did you bought that tool in the photo which you use to drilled a hole in those pipe. :huh:
I am going to building a betta barracks soon, so I want to know where I can buy a tool that can drill hole in pvc pipe and drip emitter before I start building one.

Oh. This my my next year project too. I want to build betta's barrack too. Do you have a plan of map? Make sure you give all the details so we all can follow you. :) I be here and keep bugging you. LOL
How many people have build betta barracks so far?? What kind of pump we need?

Why still no up-date yet? I am eager to learn how to build a barrack! Hmm.. :blink: :blink: :blink: I hope he didn't stop building that barrack. :/

well.... betta barracks are only 8 dollars... its not even worth making a diy for that price.... but i guess its fun

betta barracks that are sold will house 4 or 5 bettas in a fish tank

these barracks will hold muhc more, like 50 or 100 or even more. They are useful when spawning bettas

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back