Dividing Moss Balls

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

argoma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

So my moss ball just came in the mail. I ordered it from ebay on wednesday.
It was bigger than i expected it to be so i decided to split it, i read it was okay. And i did, i split it and now i have two small moss balls that dont really look like balls. They have a weird shape to them tho i rolled them in the palms of my hands after splitting.
I'm keeping them in a jar for a while now until they get a bit more round and ball shape and then i'm going to put them in my tank together with my betta.
The thing is i want them to get together and round and they dont. They keep splitting and dont join.
What can i do to get them together and round? Should i use thread to help them join like in the image below ?

marimoballJune132012.png

Yeah, if you use thread that will help. Moss balls are incredibly slow growers, they won't just attach to each other again. If you use thread, you'll have more of a round looking thing. Or you can leave the pieces as they are. It certainly doesn't hurt the plant. If you have shrimp, they will just appreciate the extra half.

Use a piece of cotton to loosely tie it in that shape - you then, every week or so, turn them so it grows evenly.
They are found on coastlines if I am not mistaken and roll in and out with the tide - hence the development of the ball shape.

I could be talking nonsense but I got told this by someone from Maidenhead whom I believe has good knowledge :p 

I had mine right under my filter outflow and it pearled from my co2, causing it to float up from time to time and shift depending on the accumulation of bubbles from the pearling.  I believe this is how they form in the wild, Sophie is right, on coastlines and under water falls/running water, although this is more difficult to recreate in a tank.  Your best bet is to keep turning it as the side with the most light will grow fastest, eventually you will start to make a nice ball.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back