Marimo Moss Balls

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sharkweek178

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
A few years ago, marimo moss balls were impossible to come by. From what I understand, they found zebra mussels in some so they banned the import to prevent an invasive species. Then that ended and they were available to buy again. I grabbed one on impulse on a trip to an LFS. I haven't seen them recently. I called and the girl working there said they weren't able to get any in. I don't see them available online either.
Has there been another import ban or am I not looking hard enough?

Pet stores, including Petco and PetSmart, have resumed selling Marimo moss balls, which, as of September, must meet new federal safeguards. Moss balls, including implicated brands like “Beta Buddies,” can be legally imported into the U.S. only through John F. Kennedy and Los Angeles international airports, where they are inspected by officials with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

So the input must be much lower and there must be a lot of rejects, that can alter the "offer" on the market.

You can still get them… they seem to be getting smaller… but I needed a lot for my topiary

https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Marim...pplies&sprefix=marimo,pet-supplies,142&sr=1-2

IMG_5181.jpeg

Hello. I got some Java Moss from one of the online aquarium plant stores. It has worked as well as the Moss Balls.

The "Marimo Moss" (Cladophora algae) often named Japanese Marimo have major part imported from Russia and Ukraine.

In the old days, they where commonly named Russian Algae Moss.

Most reactions

Back