Discus...

KimmyFishy89

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For x-mas I am getting a 75 gallon tank, and after thinking about it and doing re search I have come to the conclusion that I definatly want to do discus. I am aware they are delicate and expensive (Parents said I could do discus, if I dont do marine :p). And they require supreme water conditions, a varied diet etc etc. However, from what I have read online, those who have kept discus say It requires more routine maitnence, but people are under the impression that only "super aquarists" can keep the fish which they aren't.

I am going to buy a book on discus later today. If there is any information you could tell me I would appreciate it (Preferably from someone who has kept discus)

I really hate typing, so here is what I responded to another similar question a few weeks ago:( they were considering a 30g tank I think..)

They need to be in a group of 5 or more until they are about 4" at the very least which would overstock your tank, plus you would need a bigger tank once they grow. A small tank has other problems too, the water is more likely to fluctuate in quality quicker than a large tank and with Discus, you need water to be stable all the time to keep healthy Discus.
If you can afford it, buy a bigger tank and invest in an oversized filter and either a de-ioniser or RO unit to get the best water quality. Young Discus need water that isnt TOO soft while they are growing, while older are happier in soft water but can be acclimatised to the harder stuff.
If you are willing to put in the money and time needed to keep Discus, you will find they are no harder to keep than any other fish once settled in, and will pay you back many times over with their charming behaviour and friendliness.
Be aware though, these arent really community fish and are best kept with a few select species of fish, so if you like a lot of constant activity in the tank, Discus arent the best choice.

Im preparing my tank which is 47g for Discus in the next few months after not having kept them for over two years.. (its important to have a tank stabilised well in advance of getting them) and will let you know how it goes, in the mean time, read as much as you can on them and check every piece of information with at least two different sources as there are people who love to keep Discus mysterious and pretend they are charmed when it comes to keeping and breeding them.
I promise you will be hooked by the time it comes to actually buying them!!

Ken

Ken_g_w said:
I really hate typing, so here is what I responded to another similar question a few weeks ago:( they were considering a 30g tank I think..)

They need to be in a group of 5 or more until they are about 4" at the very least which would overstock your tank, plus you would need a bigger tank once they grow. A small tank has other problems too, the water is more likely to fluctuate in quality quicker than a large tank and with Discus, you need water to be stable all the time to keep healthy Discus.
If you can afford it, buy a bigger tank and invest in an oversized filter and either a de-ioniser or RO unit to get the best water quality. Young Discus need water that isnt TOO soft while they are growing, while older are happier in soft water but can be acclimatised to the harder stuff.
If you are willing to put in the money and time needed to keep Discus, you will find they are no harder to keep than any other fish once settled in, and will pay you back many times over with their charming behaviour and friendliness.
Be aware though, these arent really community fish and are best kept with a few select species of fish, so if you like a lot of constant activity in the tank, Discus arent the best choice.

Im preparing my tank which is 47g for Discus in the next few months after not having kept them for over two years.. (its important to have a tank stabilised well in advance of getting them) and will let you know how it goes, in the mean time, read as much as you can on them and check every piece of information with at least two different sources as there are people who love to keep Discus mysterious and pretend they are charmed when it comes to keeping and breeding them.
I promise you will be hooked by the time it comes to actually buying them!!

Ken
are you getting dicus for your 47g ken g w. i luv your tank and it had inspired my theme and choice of fish for my 50g, i know you hav a pair of beautiful angels :D in your tank and i wondered what would happen to them if the discus arrived because i hav heard they do not get along :(

if you need help with discus ask this kid he's an expert....you'll find him at aquariacentral.com in the freshwater forums, check out his picks they're unbelievable...his name is 125gjoe, he kept a bunch of dicus in a 75 until he could upgrade...

Thanks!! :D

Sadly, Im bringing the angels in. They have been fantastic little fellas for the last 2 years but unfortunately they are fighting a bit too much for my liking. My LFS is taking them in in part exchange for a breeding pair of Discus so the neons will be on their way too (cant take the heat). I really hate haing to part with them but the LFS are going to use them in a display tank so I can see them every time I go in! :D

Ive changed my mind about 1000 times about this, but I think I'd love to have Discus again, I might keep one though, depending on how he gets on with the larger Discus.

The LFS keep their Discus and Angels together in a 6ft tank and they all do fine but a 3ft like mine might prove more difficult. My original intention was to put the Angels and Discus into a 4ft 400L tank but Im hoping to get a small P. Lepoldi stingray for this new tank.

Ahhh the wishes and dreams.....

Ken

BadLarry said:
if you need help with discus ask this kid he's an expert....you'll find him at aquariacentral.com in the freshwater forums, check out his picks they're unbelievable...his name is 125gjoe, he kept a bunch of dicus in a 75 until he could upgrade...
Sounds to me like Ken was doing pretty good.

IMO, to keep discus u do not need much experience but u really need to be hardworking and change the water very often (i have friends tat change 50% daily) and yes it would be hard for u to go on holidays after u've started keeping discus lol. but again, they're really beautiful

Thanks smb! :D Pardon my laziness with the typing!!
I have found that Discus are a great fish, if you get them and get the Discus bug, you will be willing to do everything necessary to keep them happy, if you dont get the bug you may find it a little harder to fathom their needs...

Ken

In my short experience of keeping fish (about 2-3 years), I have definately found that all fish have different personalities, and don't always play by what the 'Text Books' Say.

I have a 300l tank, with Angels, Pims, Corys, a plec, Black Ghost Knife fish and various tetra. I one day came across the oportunity to have 2 discus. So I took it.

I knew they needed excellent water params and a stress free life. So read as much as I could and learnt as much as I could. But all the recommendations you read are very conflicting to what you may find in reality. For eg. I read discus should be kept with no substrate :/ This is not true, I had them with pea size gravel and have just changed to sand (everything is ok so far). As for water changes, well I do twice a week a 20l water change, skimming the subtrate and sucking up all the cr*p. Sometimes I only do a change once a week!

I'm sure this is bad practice but I'm just pointing out the fact that discus keeping is not for genius's, anyone with a little experience and dedication can have the full enjoyment of them. My discus are great fish and very healthy, they feed from my hands and are growing at rate of knots.

IMO if anyone is thinking of getting discus who enjoys fish keeping, and has an idea of what they require to live, then I say go for it and Good Luck. and remember don't be scared of the fish boffins from the books who make out keeping discus is Rocket Science. B)

smb Posted on Dec 10 2003, 10:49 PM
QUOTE (BadLarry @ Dec 10 2003, 05:36 PM)

Sounds to me like Ken was doing pretty good.

whats that supposed to mean?

I've had my first bunch of discus now for a couple months....my first 2 are now perfectly healthy, I also bought 11 very little ones for a good price and I'm now growing them out to a decent size

IMO I think someone who wants to keep discus should build up some experience and knowledge of fish keeping before taking the jump to discus, learning about the water conditions, common diseases, foods, stuff like that. If I hear one more person say "all I did was a 75% water change with straight tap water" I'll cry...you'll have to consider a 2nd smaller tank for quarantine/hospital as well

Larry, I checked out that link. He really knows his fish. You're the bomb for helping this kid, and ultimately all of us who've considered buying discus. I like that you didn't pawn that guy's hard work off as your own....to look like a brainiac. Like you, I always provide any helpful links when discussing fish. Ken does know his stuff, but like he said, it's good to check other sources.

Has anyone ever told you that you looked like Danny, from MTV's Real World New Orleans? :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back