Dipnetting Video!

trojannemo

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
580
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
hey guys.

since you all seem to enjoy my dipnetting picture threads, i thought of doing you one better and set out to record one of my dipnetting trips.
i had originally narrated the entire video, but there were some very strong winds and the audio was useless in the video, so instead you get a nice industrial rock soundtrack! :X

here is the link to the youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmXbUeh0Cs

let me know what you think! :blush:
 
Nice! I wish I had done that in TN when I was down there. Dunno what I would of found, but it would of kept me from being bored. Next time I go anywhere warm I want to go net dipping, I do it here, but I want to see some new stuff.

I'm going to Cancun in March. I REALLY want to go net dipping, But I know that would really tempt me to try and bring back fish I caught. IDK what to do!
 
Nice! I wish I had done that in TN when I was down there. Dunno what I would of found, but it would of kept me from being bored. Next time I go anywhere warm I want to go net dipping, I do it here, but I want to see some new stuff.

I'm going to Cancun in March. I REALLY want to go net dipping, But I know that would really tempt me to try and bring back fish I caught. IDK what to do!

well i can tell you in Cancun you'll find some very beautiful sailfin mollies. I have a local breeder who is obsessed with his Yucatan Peninsula mollies. and to be honest, they're the biggest and most colorful mollies i've ever seen...i'm just worried about the legality of bringing back the fish :unsure:
 
also you really shouldnt stroke the fish

as this is harmful to them with wet or dry hands
 
also you really shouldnt stroke the fish

as this is harmful to them with wet or dry hands

i was just told this on another forum....i had no clue :blink:
i didnt even notice I was doing that until I got home and saw the video. it was 23 minutes of stroking the #41#### fish where I never do that for the pictures that I usually put up. i dont know why i did it in the video :blush:
 
So dipnetting is going to a large pond/lake whatever and taking fish from there natural home and you put them into your tank am I correct never really heard of this?

If it is I find it abit cruel there living there lives happily in these huge spaces and you take them out and put them into a tiny tank (compared to the pond). Why not just go and buy some fish from a store that are bred in captivity?
 
So dipnetting is going to a large pond/lake whatever and taking fish from there natural home and you put them into your tank am I correct never really heard of this?

If it is I find it abit cruel there living there lives happily in these huge spaces and you take them out and put them into a tiny tank (compared to the pond). Why not just go and buy some fish from a store that are bred in captivity?

dipnetting is collecting fish with a small net on a pole that you dip in the water...hence "dipnetting".

now, if you want to talk about the ethics of collecting fish, then that's a different story. most of the fish I collect I release after photographing. also, the majority of the fish in that video, and nearly all that I have taken home, are INVASIVE EXOTIC SPECIES that are NOT in their natural habitat. our state wildlife commission wants us to take them out of our waters, because they dont belong there. almost all the dipnetting I do takes place in canals, not ponds or lakes.

i find that most people north of florida, except NANFA members, haven't heard of dipnetting. I'm assuming it is because colder weather up north doesn't allow all these exotic tropical species to survive, and you'd be dipnetting for some pretty colorless coldwater fish. if you click on the related links on the youtube page of my video, the majority of links are to salmon dipnetting videos :lol:
 
I have two objections to what Gurglar has said. The first is as Trojannemo said, most of the fish in a subtropical location like the waterways in Florida are a very negative impact on the local environment because they do not belong there. They are fish that some hobbyist has "released into the wild" which means they dumped their fish when they didn't want them any more. Those fish, in many cases, do not have any natural predators in the waters and their mere presence has a very negative impact on the fish that would naturally be present in those waters. The second objection that I have is the implication that only farm bred fish are for sale in your local fish shop. It simply is not true. Many, perhaps not most, of the fish in your LFS are wild caught in places that have poor economic resources and are shipped to parts of the world where people like us have the ability to pay for that trapping and shipping. That does not mean that fish in the LFS are tank bred or farm bred but merely that they are not being caught by the fish keeper directly. Shipping losses can run as high as 30%, so the impact of commercial trapping and shipping is worse than the impact of me walking to the end of the street and catching a few fish. I do not personally live in a place where I can catch tropicals that have been released into the wild so I cannot cut out the middle man like that.

As far as Trojannemo's comment about colorless fishes that we can dip net locally here, further north than he is, there are many very pretty fish available locally if you know how to identify them, such as lots of the group called darters. In my home state, the Department of Natural Resources has taken the position that they will prosecute anyone taking any fish from local waters except by hook and line. Any use of a net will get me in lots of trouble here although the laws here match those in a nearby state where the DNR encourages dip netting and identification of what is being caught at each location as a part of their survey process of what fish are living in each waterway. The difference is in the law's interpretation. Both states outlaw netting any "game fish" but the state that I live in interprets that any fish that has not been named as exempt is automatically a game fish. That adjacent state names the game fish and considers any not named as game fish as being OK to net. Neither state has any law that states which fish are or are not game fish, the difference is in the enforcement group themselves interpreting the laws. Darters are a group of very small and colorful fish that will never be game fish to a person who is fishing with a hook and line but that kind of reasoning seldom comes into the thinking of the DNR officials.
 
What cruel is letting these fish take over the native fish streams and water ways. Thoes are preditors and they are doing lots of harm onthe native fish. Nothing wrong with getting them out of there. They shouldnever have been there is the first place. Getting your fish from dealers is worst many fish are still wild caught from there own native area. Fish Frams do more harm then good lots of the time. They use medications to treat fish these meds get in to near by waterways and in to the land.

As for the film I really disliked your pick of music. Besides that well done. Yeah the fish petting was wierd. But all and all well put together. Pretty neat. Fish never look good out of water. If you could put them in a clear bag or clear container for the photos i think that would look better and the fish would like it better too. all and all I like the video.
 
Snowflake311: When I am dipnetting with trojannemo I bring a clear container to put the fish in but it is not worth it for pictures. Once in the container they lose all their color, they look best fresh out of the water.
 
I quite liked that :) For some reason I was expecting you to be a lot older :lol:
 
As far as Trojannemo's comment about colorless fishes that we can dip net locally here, further north than he is, there are many very pretty fish available locally if you know how to identify them, such as lots of the group called darters.
I was exagerating before. i'm well aware of your orangethroat darters and rainbow darters and all those beautiful darters. unfortunately down here all i've caught so far are swamp darters :crazy:

As for the film I really disliked your pick of music.
sorry! I had originally narrated the video but it was too windy and the camera picked up all the wind and none of my voice. so I had to find a soundtrack and i just suck at that (evidently!) :blush:

I quite liked that :) For some reason I was expecting you to be a lot older :lol:
why is that?! I'm young and vibrant and energetic and...who am I kidding? i'm 22 but always feel like i'm OLD! maybe that's why my online persona seems to be older? :lol:


i'm glad you guys and gals enjoyed the video. thank you for the comments and I hope to make a better one next time :good:
 
Nice! I wish I had done that in TN when I was down there. Dunno what I would of found, but it would of kept me from being bored. Next time I go anywhere warm I want to go net dipping, I do it here, but I want to see some new stuff.

I'm going to Cancun in March. I REALLY want to go net dipping, But I know that would really tempt me to try and bring back fish I caught. IDK what to do!

well i can tell you in Cancun you'll find some very beautiful sailfin mollies. I have a local breeder who is obsessed with his Yucatan Peninsula mollies. and to be honest, they're the biggest and most colorful mollies i've ever seen...i'm just worried about the legality of bringing back the fish :unsure:
Yeah it would not be legal :/ . Which is why I say I shouldn't even go dip netting. I've gotten away with bringing stuff back before, not fish though :look: . Either way the temptation is there. Again I shouldn't go looking....





..you know I will though. :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top