Desperately seeking fish photography tips

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishHobby99

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I finally set up my SLR Canon EOS digital Rebel XT. Itā€™s likely their 1st model, circa 2005. I have a 18-55 mm lens & a 70-21O mm. I purchased a 50 mm f 1.8 lens after seeing fantastic online fish photos taken with it. Mine were awful, worse than the iPad I use. The lens did not mount smoothly to the camera body, so I returned it to Amazon today.

if anyone hereā€˜s using a digital SLR Iā€™d love to know your camera brand & the best lens for fish photography. Iā€™m willing to retire the old Canon if I canā€˜t get good pics. Part of the challenge may well be my unwillingness to use a flash.
Thanks. šŸ™šŸ»

6 Megapixel Pentax K100D Super digital SLR camera with a Sigma 18-50mm zoom lens. Camera was bought in 2006? and does the job as well as any new camera.

You need a flash. Don't waste your time taking fish pictures without a flash because you are wasting your time and will bash your head against a brick wall trying to get good shots.

Have flash on.
Set camera to shutter priority and have the shutter speed at around 1/100 - 1/200.
Have the ISO on 64, 100 or 200. I normally use 100 ISO. Don't go above 200 ISO because the pictures look crap and grainy.
Have the camera on a slight angle facing down onto the fish from a little above it. This will allow the flash to bounce off the glass and not show up on the picture.
Try to photograph the fish from the head to the back. Don't take pictures from the tail to the head.
Clean the inside and outside of the aquarium glass a few hours or a day before taking pictures.
Do a big water change a few hours or a day before taking pictures.
Have lights on the tank with a 6500K rating to give a good white light.
Don't wear white or yellow clothes when using a digital camera to take fish pictures. The light coloured clothing can show up as a reflection on the glass.

6 Megapixel Pentax K100D Super digital SLR camera with a Sigma 18-50mm zoom lens. Camera was bought in 2006? and does the job as well as any new camera.

You need a flash. Don't waste your time taking fish pictures without a flash because you are wasting your time and will bash your head against a brick wall trying to get good shots.

Have flash on.
Set camera to shutter priority and have the shutter speed at around 1/100 - 1/200.
Have the ISO on 64, 100 or 200. I normally use 100 ISO. Don't go above 200 ISO because the pictures look crap and grainy.
Have the camera on a slight angle facing down onto the fish from a little above it. This will allow the flash to bounce off the glass and not show up on the picture.
Try to photograph the fish from the head to the back. Don't take pictures from the tail to the head.
Clean the inside and outside of the aquarium glass a few hours or a day before taking pictures.
Do a big water change a few hours or a day before taking pictures.
Have lights on the tank with a 6500K rating to give a good white light.
Don't wear white or yellow clothes when using a digital camera to take fish pictures. The light coloured clothing can show up as a reflection on the glass.
Terrific info, Colin! Thanks so much! I emailed it to myself for easier access .
Bit doesnā€™t the flash scare the fish? I am thinking along the lines of intensifying tank lighting. Like maxing the Fluval Aquasky & adding a supplemental LED strip. Any chance that would work?

As long as the tank light has been on for an hour or more, the flash does not stress the fish. If you are concerned, open the curtains and turn the room light on too. Then take a picture with the flash and see how the fish reacts. If the fish panic and dash away when you take the picture, then the flash is stressing it. But I have never had an issue using a flash on fish.

Thanks again! I am looking into replacing the ceiling lights with higher watt LEDS & may try the flash.

Do water changes before. I use a macro setting for most fish. I don't use a flash - my fish dart back. However, flash probably helps. I think black backgrounds help. Get them in the middle of the day. I'd also suggest nice lighting. I have an LED circular reading light that I use as background lighting. It has clear and soft lighting.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back