Deformed celestial pearl danio?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

meadoughlark

Reaction score
I got these celestial pearl danios 2 weeks ago. One of them is a different shape to the others. It's skinnier and long and 'curvy' while the others are more rounded. I thought at first that it might be underfed but it hasn't changed after 2 weeks. It behaves normally and feeds well. Is this an inbred mutant / infection / am I overthinking it?

Here is the weird fish by itself:
IMG_20200712_170047.jpg

Here it is on the right, with two of the more 'normal' looking ones on the left.
IMG_20200712_165921.jpg

Those fish are all skinny, they should have fairly rounded bellies. How do you feed them?

CPD are fairly slow feeders. Something like bug bites is problematic because it sinks so fast and they can't find it when it hits the bottom, its also too big for them to eat in one go. I feed mine powdered fry food, which floats for ages. Usually I turn the filter off for about 20 minutes to allow them enough time. They also love Omega one veggie rounds which is what is in the video - but take several hours over it. Half a pellet is enough for about 30 of them. They also get live microworms or gel containing daphnia or brine shrimps (not all at the same time). You will see some of mine are still a bit skinny, these are the younger ones that were born in the tank and are outcompeted by the bigger fish.

Of course it could be worms, but there is also a good chance they just aren't getting enough food, especially if there are other species in the same tank. Finally when you buy them they are almost always skinny and starved. As long as its not worms (and I can't tell from the photo) that little guy should fill out in a few weeks if he is able to get enough food.
20180509_233710-jpg.87705

Those fish are all skinny, they should have fairly rounded bellies. How do you feed them?

CPD are fairly slow feeders. Something like bug bites is problematic because it sinks so fast and they can't find it when it hits the bottom, its also too big for them to eat in one go. I feed mine powdered fry food, which floats for ages. Usually I turn the filter off for about 20 minutes to allow them enough time. They also love Omega one veggie rounds which is what is in the video - but take several hours over it. Half a pellet is enough for about 30 of them. They also get live microworms or gel containing daphnia or brine shrimps (not all at the same time). You will see some of mine are still a bit skinny, these are the younger ones that were born in the tank and are outcompeted by the bigger fish.

Of course it could be worms, but there is also a good chance they just aren't getting enough food, especially if there are other species in the same tank. Finally when you buy them they are almost always skinny and starved. As long as its not worms (and I can't tell from the photo) that little guy should fill out in a few weeks if he is able to get enough food.
20180509_233710-jpg.87705

Thank you very much for your informative reply!

I've been feeding tetra bits, which I grind up between my fingers into a powder, which they eat as it slowly floats to the bottom. A few weeks later the other danios have fattened up, but the 'weird' looking one hasn't. It's behaving and feeding fine though, so I guess it's OK. I'm going to try some of the foods that you suggested ASAP.

Your danios looks beautiful.

I got these celestial pearl danios 2 weeks ago. One of them is a different shape to the others. It's skinnier and long and 'curvy' while the others are more rounded. I thought at first that it might be underfed but it hasn't changed after 2 weeks. It behaves normally and feeds well. Is this an inbred mutant / infection / am I overthinking it?

Here is the weird fish by itself:
View attachment 109678

Here it is on the right, with two of the more 'normal' looking ones on the left.
View attachment 109679
Just came across your thread. I too have a couple celestial pearl danio's with the same look as the picture you shared back in 2020. Did you learn more?

Mine eat fine, swim around, etc. but something is up.

Thanks for any insight/feedback you have here on your learnings.

You are not likely to get a reply I'm afraid as it almost a year since the OP was on the forum.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back