Dead Guppys!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Koustoubi1993

Reaction score
Hello friends! :)
I have a little problem with my guppys. Firstly my tank is 61cm long, 31 wide, and 31 high. In it i have 4 neon tetras, 1 big angel fish, 5 balck neon tetras, 4 red eyed tetras, 2 swordtails and i had 4 guppys. The past 3 days the guppys died off now there is only 1 remaining. I watched the guppys during the day and they seemed to be fine. But during the night i had a look and saw that 2 were having trouble swimming and were just being pushed around the tank by the filter current. Today i woke up and went and had a look and the 2 that wernt swimming right died. And now the last one is just sitting on the bottom of the tank and looks like its gonna die as well. All my other fish are fine and have no problems its only the guppys. Plz some1 help me :)

Hi there! Well at a guess I'd say it's probably due to the water quality. Have you tested the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates rcently? (forgive me I don't know how much you know about the nitrogen cycle but if any of this sounds unfamiliar we can explain it to you fully) Your tank is very heavily stocked, partculary when you consider that there's a large angelfish in there (they need much more space than your tank allows- I think your tank is about 15 uk gallons whereas angelfish need at least 3 times that IMO). My best guess would be that the nitrates have gradually built up and are now harming the fish; guppies are more delicate than most people allow for and IME they are among the first to fall victim to poorer water conditions- this seems to be consistent with what you are experiencing at the moment. I hope this has helped if it's not the case then perhaps it could be the outbreak of a disease in your tank- are any of your other fish showing signs of illness?
Seriz

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back