Day 1 - Adulthood

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

well thats good. i have going of vacation with all my animals at home. i put all of the servings of food in their own little cup and write down when they are supposed to be fed. it is a lot of sticky notes and cups because there are 9 tanks-some with fry that must be fed several times a day- and there are like 4 different ways you have to put the food in to feed the animal.... i dont think it is that much work until i write it out and then i look at the page long description and go "wow that is a lot of detail for something i think is so simple" :p

also i think i'm going to buy one of those cheap starter tanks and get it set up for Happy. i'll use water from my current tank (where he is now) and if it's small enough put the sponge from the starter tank filter into the space where the sponge i put into the big tank normally goes. (does that make sense???) and leave it for a few days to get bacteria and then put it in the new tank (the little one) with Happy.
:fun:

how big of a starter tank are you planning on buying? i used to do that with my feeder guppy fry and the i put then in a half full 10 gal (former breeding tank not a tropical tank) i reccamens like a 2.5-3 gal for him or else he wont grow fast. or get a tank divider for you new big tank :)

Thanks guys

I've bought a 12 litre tank for Happy and set it up with water from my 36 litre. Only problem is this morning I compared tempuratures with my hand and the little tank is a lot colder than my main tank. I think that's cos my main tank - the 36 litre has a light and a full lid. Some advice??? (Oh and I can't afford a heater). Is it possible to use tubes like that of the gravel cleaner to take cold water out of the tank and pui warm (declorinated) back in??

thank the cold water out and put some warm water from your 36L in the smaller tank then put Happy in there when the water is still warm. if you can, put the tank is a warmer room.
Hint: search craigslist for heaters, you can sometimes find people that are giving away mass amounts of fish stuff for cheap ;)

thank the cold water out and put some warm water from your 36L in the smaller tank then put Happy in there when the water is still warm. if you can, put the tank is a warmer room.
Hint: search craigslist for heaters, you can sometimes find people that are giving away mass amounts of fish stuff for cheap ;)
what is craiglist - is it uk???
and i live in a cold house. could i put the tank next to a radiator???

tank reference: 36 litre - tank a. big tank - tank b. fry tank - tank c.

so sweetie is now in tank b. it was so cute when i put her in, she was just swimming around exploring. :wub: :fish:

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/
this is craigslist. if are not in or near London then just pick a different city on the right. you can either search fish tank heaters or just look under 'pets' which can be found under the 'community' section.

whoa scratch that. there is not heaters on the london one there not a lot of everything compared to the ones here in the US. just check other cities, save up, or for now you could put him near a radiator. cool water wont kill him but they grow faster in warm and are happier.

you can also look on ebay and mark the boxes on the left of the page so only 'free shipping' and 'buy it now' results show up. there are a lot when i searched it. i think a 50 watt heater is a good size (i have a 100 watt for my 20gal and a 25 for my 10 gal so 50 watt would make sense)

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/
this is craigslist. if are not in or near London then just pick a different city on the right. you can either search fish tank heaters or just look under 'pets' which can be found under the 'community' section.

whoa scratch that. there is not heaters on the london one there not a lot of everything compared to the ones here in the US. just check other cities, save up, or for now you could put him near a radiator. cool water wont kill him but they grow faster in warm and are happier.

you can also look on ebay and mark the boxes on the left of the page so only 'free shipping' and 'buy it now' results show up. there are a lot when i searched it. i think a 50 watt heater is a good size (i have a 100 watt for my 20gal and a 25 for my 10 gal so 50 watt would make sense)
no, nothing anywhere near me. i think i'll put the tank near near the radiator. i think his growth might have already be stunted poor thing from being kept in the tiny breeder net for so long, with nothing to eat but flakes and liquifry (i don't think my mum'll go for dead wormy things in the freezer (or live ones in the house))

horrible news: Sweetie the oranda has died. she got stuck behind the filter and when i got her out she got stuck on the intake, and now she's dead. she floats. :-( : :rip:

i am so sorry, i know how that feels :-( . i had a black moor with unusually big eyes (like the one in my avatar) and i was so sad when he was dying.... :(

All my fish have been transferred to their respective tanks - my v. platys to the 3 foot and Happy to the 12 litre.
from now on:
3 ft / 20 gal = tank a (3 v. platys, Blacky, Silver, Shimmer)
21 litre = tank b (soon to be quarantine tank)
12 litre = tank c (Happy the v. platy fry)

its good that you have a quarentine tank. i could never have one because i would just have to make it a full time tank!! :p

its good that you have a quarentine tank. i could never have one because i would just have to make it a full time tank!! :p
well at the moment it's still my younger sister's goldfish tank. we're going to move the goldfish into my 36 litre with the was much of the water as we can manage (which will be hard with only one decent sized bucket).
i've changed a bit of the water in Happy's tank and put the filter on for about a minute - even on it's lowest setting Happy isn't a strong enough swimmer yet.
:hyper:

if you are going to keep the goldies and the platies togetherthen you will have to make more water changes because the goldies are more dirty :good: . :rolleyes: its not like i havent had 2 mollies in with big goldies in a bigger tank :hey: !!

oh no the goldfish are living in the 36 litre and the platys in the 20 gal (they will be moved when they grow).
Happy is now 1.5cm long

Most reactions

Back