Dalmation molly pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aquarius

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I still can't figure out if my molly is pregnant and i've had her for nearly three weeks now. Some days she looks chubby and some days, not. I've heard about the gravid spot, just never seen it on my fish and was wondering how i'm suppose to see it on the molly if she's covered with black dots as it is. Is it even possible?

i have yet to see it even on my gold molly. they don't always get one like guppies, and on a dalmation, you'd never see it. best way to tell, okay, is she chubby all the time,or just after she's been fed? when youre looking at her from the side, is the bottom edge of the belly rounded, or does it look almost more squared off, with two rounded corners almost? if its the latter, she's prego for sure, if not, she may just be fat (mollies are pigs by the way :lol: ). has her behavior changed at all? not all mollies are like this but in the week before they give birht my females tend to be more moody (though theyre pretty moody to begin with), they will chase others away, lunge at other fish, stick to themselves for the most part, hide more, spend more time near the bottom of the tank resting on the gravel. things like that. observe her for a while, see what she's doing.

I think you can tell how heavy the pregnancy is by observing how much she eats

The closer she gets, the less she will eat ( I think )...
Behaviour is also good (as Many A Molly said)

Juggernaut22988 said:
I think you can tell how heavy the pregnancy is by observing how much she eats

The closer she gets, the less she will eat ( I think )...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pregnancy doesn't slow my mollies down. on the day my golden gave birth, she gave birth to about ten in the morning, ate when i fed everyone in the late morning (like a pig i might add :lol: ), gave birth to some more, then that evening when i dropped in the sinking wafers for the cories, she chased them down and munched on the wafers along with the other mollies (have spirulina [sp?] in them, mollies like greens, my mollies will even eat off the gravel), then popped out a few more fry. but then, my mollies are just weird i think (look at their owner.....) :lol:

thanks, i'll look for the signs. when looked from the side, her belly doesn't seem to be square shaped, although i don't have anything to compare her to. perhaps anyone have pictures of mollies? and she's definitely been more moody in the last week, but she's not hiding or sitting on the gravel at all. i don't know what to think. i just have a feeling that i'm gonna find little fishies swimming around one day :rolleyes:

in the livebearer section there is a pinned article by william about breeding livebearers. it has a pic of a platy, but they will look the same along the belly. check it out.

don't even get me started on platies, lol. i still can figure out if mine is a male or female. i've looked at that pic and i swear mine doesn't look like either of them, it has some weird fin. and they say, livebearers are easy, i find them so complex :S

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back