Cycling I think I’m close but am I ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi guys, Fluval 125 is now cycled 👍🏼
Biorb 30L got 0 ammonia, 0.25 ppm Nitrite, 20 ppm Nitrate can’t squeeze the nitrite to 0 😢my PH is 6 to 6.5 in the Biorb I’ve read somewhere that the BB sweet spot is 7-7.5 maybe a little high for optimum reproduction, is this correct ?

Biorb 30L got 0 ammonia, 0.25 ppm Nitrite, 20 ppm Nitrate can’t squeeze the nitrite to 0 😢my PH is 6 to 6.5 in the Biorb I’ve read somewhere that the BB sweet spot is 7-7.5 maybe a little high for optimum reproduction, is this correct ?
If there is any nitrite present then that means that the tank is not cycled.

Low pH can slow or stop the nitrite bacteria but it has to be well below 6.0. If you are concerned, just do a huge water change and see if it helps.

Coldwater tanks take longer to cycle than tropical tanks because the bacteria reproduce slower in cold water.

---------------
If you have a cycled tank, take half the filter media from that and stick it in the coldwater tank. Instant cycled tank. Just keep feeding down for a few weeks and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels, and your good to go.

Was thinking about taking something from cycled tank to the un-cycled tank to quickly sort it but the filter set up etc is completely different in both aquariums, would squeezing filter sponges into my Biorb work ?

Squeezing gunk out of filter sponges doesn't do anything except introduce harmful microscopic organisms into the new tank.

Can you take a sponge from the established tank and put it against the filter media in the bio-orb?

What sort of filter does the bio-orb have?

I don't know what filter comes with a bio-orb. Have you got some pictures of it?

Biorbs have an undergravel filter. The rocks that come with tank and lie on the bottom are the media. There is also a small round box prefilter containing a small sponge and either carbon granules or a carbon zeolite mixture, but the box is sealed and has to be broken to get the contents out.

I have the biorb 30l tube, cycling currently, I’m just interested, did you get the nitrites down? I’m concerned if the biorb can even cycle at all.

Just thinking. If a biorb doesn’t fully circle, couldn’t you just use seachem prime every other day? Problem solved right? Rather than daily water changes.

Seachem Prime should only be used at water changes. it sis not a treatment and should not be added at any other time.

Biorbs can cycle, just like every other tank. One thing that will slow a cycle is the zeolite in the filter box as it absorbs ammonia - until it is full.

Seachem Prime should only be used at water changes. it sis not a treatment and should not be added at any other time.

Biorbs can cycle, just like every other tank. One thing that will slow a cycle is the zeolite in the filter box as it absorbs ammonia - until it is full.
Absolutely doesn’t state that on the bottle, says it can be used directly in the tank as well as on water changes.

Because my tank is in my front room, and it’s a small tank. My water changes are done 2 litres at a time, that’s 0.05ml of a dose. I have nothing that precise to deliver such a dose.

Therefore I rely on tetra tap safe for the chlorine and using prime for my nitrite spikes while I’m cycling.

Most reactions

trending

Back