Cycling clarification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jadzir

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a well established tank ( cichlids breeding in it ).
They have been kind enough to put a filter pad in their tank for me and have offered some of their filter media too. ?
Question 1. How long should the filter pad be in there to ‘seed’ it ?
Question 2. Basically what do I do after I transfer it to my set up ?
I’m sure this has already been covered but want to get it right.
Thanks as always for both your help and patience.

The pad should be in a cycled tank at least a month, preferably longer.

The pad is unlikely to grow enough bacteria to fully cycle yuor tank, unless your tank is very small and the friend's tank is large and heavily stocked. There will still be the same number of bacteria in your friend's tank, just distributed evenly throughout the tank, so there won't be very many bacteria in your media. If their tank has a lot of live plants, few bacteria, if any, will grow.
The best way to make sure it can support fish when moved into your tank is to add ammonia and test for both ammonia and nitrite next day. You will probably find that you still have to cycle the tank, it will just take less time.

If your tank has a lot of live plants, you may well find that the plants take up all the ammonia.

Hello :)
Those beloved "good bacterias" live inside medias and inside substrate. Almost nothing in water.
You'll have to wait for 4-5 weeks before cycle is finished, but do not make it a generality as cycle can last 8-9 weeks.

The pad should be in a cycled tank at least a month, preferably longer.

The pad is unlikely to grow enough bacteria to fully cycle yuor tank, unless your tank is very small and the friend's tank is large and heavily stocked. There will still be the same number of bacteria in your friend's tank, just distributed evenly throughout the tank, so there won't be very many bacteria in your media. If their tank has a lot of live plants, few bacteria, if any, will grow.
The best way to make sure it can support fish when moved into your tank is to add ammonia and test for both ammonia and nitrite next day. You will probably find that you still have to cycle the tank, it will just take less time.

If your tank has a lot of live plants, you may well find that the plants take up all the ammonia.
As they keep cichlids they do not have live plants. Tank is well established.
Was planning on planting when the tank is cycled.
Once I add the media just follow the normal cycle method ?
Thanks.

Yes, add the media then follow this

Since they don't have plants, their tank will depend on bacteria, but adding your pad won't make the tank grow more bacteria, just that some of them will colonise your media. But there should be enough to shorten your cycle.

tha
Yes, add the media then follow this

Since they don't have plants, their tank will depend on bacteria, but adding your pad won't make the tank grow more bacteria, just that some of them will colonise your media. But there should be enough to shorten your cycle.
Thanks for the advice

Shorten cycle....
Patience and time do more than force and rage...

Most reactions

Back