Curious!

<a href="http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...5b1ad4ce98daf52" target="_blank">http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...5b1ad4ce98daf52</a>

IMO there is no need. people on UKAPS keep tanks with a PH of around 5.8-6 with no adverse affects, ask dave spencer. he has 0 KH i think and his PH drops to 6 and he has NO problems whatsoever


But does he keep fish in his planted tank... if so whats the suvival rate?
nothing dies. the ammonia converts to ammonium and is still processed. bacteria can adapt to different conditions.
 
<a href="http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...5b1ad4ce98daf52" target="_blank">http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/cat...5b1ad4ce98daf52</a>

IMO there is no need. people on UKAPS keep tanks with a PH of around 5.8-6 with no adverse affects, ask dave spencer. he has 0 KH i think and his PH drops to 6 and he has NO problems whatsoever


But does he keep fish in his planted tank... if so whats the suvival rate?
nothing dies. the ammonia converts to ammonium and is still processed. bacteria can adapt to different conditions.


So if this is the case, why does a "fishless cycle" stall when PH drops below a certain point?
 
My guess would be that when you are cycling a tank at say 7.5 pH, and the pH has been at 7.5 for 3 weeks now(since the beginning), the bacteria have adapted to that pH range.

But then on the fourth week your pH crashes (6.0- pH), well it is going to take time for your bacteria to adapt to the lower pH, and they go dormant until they have fully adapted to the lower pH.

So if you start a tank with a very low pH (6.0), the bacteria would have plenty of time to adapt to that pH rating.

Just a guess....

-FHM
 
My guess would be that when you are cycling a tank at say 7.5 pH, and the pH has been at 7.5 for 3 weeks now(since the beginning), the bacteria have adapted to that pH range.

But then on the fourth week your pH crashes (6.0- pH), well it is going to take time for your bacteria to adapt to the lower pH, and they go dormant until they have fully adapted to the lower pH.

So if you start a tank with a very low pH (6.0), the bacteria would have plenty of time to adapt to that pH rating.

Just a guess....

-FHM

Sounds plausible to me :)
 
But does he keep fish in his planted tank... if so whats the suvival rate?

I lose 20 or 30 a week. :shifty:

KH is negligible, I ran a yellow drop checker for CO2, but with lots of surface agitation for O2, I have lots of wood for lowering the pH, along with added nitrates and phosphates for my plants and just to lower it some more, yet my tanks thrive. Jen, this is your hobby, enjoy it. :good:

I haven`t used a test kit in nearly two years now, and I know nothing about fish diseases or deaths (except when it is my own stupid fault), because I don`t need to .

Dave.
 
But does he keep fish in his planted tank... if so whats the suvival rate?

I lose 20 or 30 a week. :shifty:

KH is negligible, I ran a yellow drop checker for CO2, but with lots of surface agitation for O2, I have lots of wood for lowering the pH, along with added nitrates and phosphates for my plants and just to lower it some more, yet my tanks thrive. Jen, this is your hobby, enjoy it. :good:

I haven`t used a test kit in nearly two years now, and I know nothing about fish diseases or deaths (except when it is my own stupid fault), because I don`t need to .

Dave.

LOL, nice of you to comment m8 but its still doesnt really answer the original question of if a cycle can stall with a ph crash when doing a fishless cycle, why doesnt it stall on a already cycled tank when the PH crashes?.
Like ive said my fish are healthy and i havent got ammonia spikes on any tank other than this new planted one, i have a feeling that the ammonia may have been casued by the dead shrimp but on the other hand as aaron said it could well be from the aquasoil either way the media i add was very mature and i would have expected it to get rid of the ammonia spike by now but it hasnt hence the question could my bacteria have died/gone dormant becasue of my low PH?
 
LOL, nice of you to comment m8 but its still doesnt really answer the original question of if a cycle can stall with a ph crash when doing a fishless cycle, why doesnt it stall on a already cycled tank when the PH crashes?.

My tanks run like this from day one. I have added Ottos and Amanos after a week of healthy plant growth and experience no problems. Like I suggested, enjoy the hobby....and a glass of wine while you look at your tank. Itt`s why we are in this hobby, isn`t it? I have never cycled a planted tank, and I never will.

I notice you joined UKAPS recently.

Dave.
 
LOL, nice of you to comment m8 but its still doesnt really answer the original question of if a cycle can stall with a ph crash when doing a fishless cycle, why doesnt it stall on a already cycled tank when the PH crashes?.

My tanks run like this from day one. I have added Ottos and Amanos after a week of healthy plant growth and experience no problems. Like I suggested, enjoy the hobby....and a glass of wine while you look at your tank. Itt`s why we are in this hobby, isn`t it? I have never cycled a planted tank, and I never will.

I notice you joined UKAPS recently.

Dave.


It would have to be a glass of coke m8 lol, i dont drink :P.

It's ok saying uve added otto's amanos etc etc, but my fish and the fish i choose to keep are a little more expensive to just think what the hell and see how they go. Losing an otto at what £2 is a little different to losing a £60 plec.

I do enjoy my hobby m8 but i also enjoy the knowledge of complete an utter satisfaction that i know my fish are in the best conditions i can possibly give them (please dont read into that as if i think your not :) it's just a coment).

And yes m8 i joined ukaps about a week ago now me thinks, and wow some absolutley amazing tanks on there:)

I guess beens the people i expected to comment here and havent, they dont actually know why or cant actually help me with this/these questions.

Thanks all that have commented here so far.

jen
 

Most reactions

Back
Top