Cryptocoryne Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Reaction score
Hi everyone 

Just a quick question about crypts ... just a chance to learn something new maybe,

I have a crypt in my main tank that's being doing really well lately (like all my other plants - going a bit crazy) and I'd noticed that about an inch to the side of the plant there's a new crypt growing. I thought it was just a bunch of new leaves but then I noticed a couple of days ago that there's more new leaves coming through my sand but this time it's a good 6 inch away from the main plant.

Do crypts send runners under the substrate? Are they a bit like vallis? 

I don't mind what it's doing ... it obviously healthy and happy I'm just interested to know :)

Thanks in advance

yes they do send out runners however there no where near as invasive as vallis is 

Yep, some varients of crypts do send out runners with a couple of new leaves and will grow.

My balensae does this, nice to see
wink.png

great thanks! Ooh I'm excited to see what it does. From melting a year ago to sending out runners now. I'm clearly doing something right :D

Lucky you!! crypts take ages to propagate. 

Nic ... get some easylife profito ... this stuff is like rocket fuel! I add it in very small doses daily and my plants are going nuts. I've got one amazon sword with 3 flower stems at the moment and I cut off one flower stem just 8 or 9 weeks ago. That stem gave my lfs 18 new 'plantlets'. This time they'll be getting many many more.

The only plant not doing well is my lotus plant ... in fact I think it might be dead ... the leaves rotted away and now there's nothing

Both my sword plants are now so big the leaves are layed on the surface and this tank is 55cm deep!

Wow, yeah I might do that, I used dry ferts and that just didn't really do much in the big tank, I also use tetra Plantamin which seems to do the trick in the shrimp tank but not the main tank, I just hate wasting money on things that just don't deliver but as soon as the dry ferts run out I will get some.
My plants have seemed to of gone through a dormant stage....even the giant vallis which is normally the fastest propagating plant has seemed to just stop doing anything, its a sorry sight in there at the moment and the ramshorns have been having a field day with the hygrophila!!

I get paid on the 16th.... I might just throw caution to the wind and get some :) Ive fallen out of love with my tank at the moment as nothing seems to grow!

A photo of my tank taken just last week! You can see how lush these plants are

002_zpsqykvilgd.jpg

Use easycarbo too, alongside the profito.

I got some for my Dad for his tank and he was moaning the other day that his anubias is out of control and that he's sick of trying to stop it growing like a weed! His crypt has also done similar to mine although it's a different variety

wow, that looks amazing! Im definitely going to get some now!!

I've just pruned it back. I've got about 40+ plantlets in a bucket from the sword on the right side and it's got another plantlet stem growing so there will be more. I also found a sword leaf covered in tiny eggs ... they're either tetra eggs or nerite snail eggs.

This is certainly a very fertile tank! 

Am begining to think its your water thats helping everything in your tanks.

Not to do with the ferts or root tabs etc really imo, they help but something is certainly good to make your plants, cories very comfortable.

:)

I don't know Ch4rlie ... it could be the water but then my Dad uses the same stuff as me and he's on a different water supply and his plants are going nutty too! I know my Dad's water is slightly harder than mine and he's not got the same level of po4 as me so def a different water supply.

This tank of mine is certainly a fertile one ... baby cories popping up every month or so ... plants sprout new plants everywhere ... mystery eggs on leaves. I'm clearly doing something right - I'm just not sure what!

Akasha72 said:
This tank of mine is certainly a fertile one ... baby cories popping up every month or so ... plants sprout new plants everywhere ... mystery eggs on leaves. I'm clearly doing something right - I'm just not sure what!

If you ever find out what it is that makes your tank good, put some in a bottle and send it to me ;)

:p

I'm sure your tanks are just as good Ch4rlie ... we are our own worst critics after all

Nice swords. What is the sword like plant in the centre?

I see the reflection of a WW1 soldier too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back