cost of fish>>

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fozzy_wozzy_woo

Moved On
Reaction score
Kudelstaart (Amsterdam) (The Netherlands)
ok lets start out and see what the markup and profit of fish is

ok if you are a shop and you buy from a distributer and the distributer buys from the main breader or dealer in the country where the fish come from.

so step 1 Day 1
poor farmer goes out and grabs as many fish as he can and places it on his push bike and takes it to the coop.
some die in poor trans port e.g 50 fish per coffee jar

so $1 per 10kg jar of fish say 10 jars of fish

step 2 Day 3
Coop sorts the fish out into breads and kulls worthless fish and throws away any fish that are dead due to lack of O2 say 1/3 of them
the fish then get put into bigger containers that hold around 200 per 60L barrels with air pumps blowing air into it.
they then send this to the country dealer

Say $10 per barrel

Step 3 Day 4
The country dealer then puts the fish into large tanks with freash water and high amounts of O2 pumping into it so the fish can recover a bit. all he dead fish get dumped. the fish get fed for the first time (Maybe)

they then get trans fered from one tank to another until the water is totaly clean.

they then do a breed check again and kull the fish that are worthless

they then chuk these fish into large air transport containers where they have a volume of water and just add an amount of fish until the volume gets to a certain level. they then sell these fish to the countries that request them.
Say 5000 per container.

for $200

Step 5 Day 5

fish arrive in the country
customs look at them and send them trough to th the main distributers

step 6 Day 5 or 6

The fish arrive at main country Recivers.
They seperate the fish into breeds and throw all the dead away say 1/3
they then split the fish into large tanks and have a constant flow of medicated water.
they then feed them and give them a time to rest and recoup.
feeding and medicating them. with a constant change of new water.

Step7 day 8 or 9

the fish have been checked daily and all the dieing fish are given to the larger breeds of fish as food.
the fish are then seperated into large amounts but in not so cramped conditions then sent to the regional distributers.
say 100 per 100L tank

dependant on the breed

lets say this is fish Y and 100 fish x = $10

Step 8 day 9 or 10

the distributers get them and break the fish down into the anount the shops want

Step 9 same day or next day.

10 x fish Y get sent to your LFS at a cost of $10

Step 10 day 10 or 11

Fish y arrive in the pet store

and get placed into the tanks.
and a price of 1x fish y = $4

so what do you think of this..

I don't think local fish stores are trying to rip people off, in general. Iin fact, in most places they can't, without collusion.

After all, they don't control the supply chain, they're just the last link in it. and if their margin is too high, people will tend to find alternate sources.

I'd assume that everyone in the chain adds a reasonable markup in order to provide enough profit to give a reason to stay in business, but not high enough so that their customers (the next chain link) find a different supplier.

Juan Valdez probably doesn't get $8 a pound for the coffee he picks, either, but that's the cost to the final consumer. :)

That's just the Way Things Work.

The reason i was saying $4 was that when they fish start settleing down in the tank loads will die. How many LFS have you gone into and seen some floating or just staggering about.
I am just starting a business (Non fish related) and the rule of thumb that i have found out was to tripple the production price and that was it so if your LFS gets 10 of fish Y he knows that out of the 10 maybe 3 will die 1 may jump out of the tank whilest trying to grab it. so to cover the costs and to make a profit plus dont forget the BPM/VAT/Tax/BTW and that can be around 20% on the base price. so the fish shop is not really making $3 proffit. he is making
costs
Buy the fish = $10 Excl tax
3 die = -$9 proffit
1 Jumps = -$1 proffit
6 x sold = $24

making a grand total proffit Excl Tax = $4 for 10 fish

This is also not including Wages, heating, electricity,food and your staff counting 22 fish instead of 20 when they are sold.
Also you may get one returned dead within 24hrs of purchase and you cant prove it wasnt the customer who killed it. thatis also minus money.

My math sucks.

Most popular freshwater aquarium fish are farm bred in either Florida or the Far East (Singapore). They are probably shipped out overnite mail to the US and then on to Europe or maybe its the other way around the world. I don't know about the mark ups but usually stores mark their prices up about 30 to 50%. If a product costs them one dollar they charge $1.50. With fish it might be a little more to include the cost of taking care of the fish in the store so maybe a dollar fish will be $2.00 to $2.50.

fish are usually marked up 3 to 5 times. for instance if we you get platy's for 49cents each you will charge 1.99each, or 2 for 3.89. the mark up may be more or less, it depends. mark up is high because of losses.

crimsontsavo said:
* Starts drooling*

Dude- i am so not good with math- LOL.
*Feels bad for the first guy that did all the work, :p.*
math , yea me too.
the first guys that do all the work . Are you talking about the breeders or the [ native ] people [ or whoever] that catch fish in the wild and get paid very , very little for it , and are so over exploited. I feel bad for them , but our hobby gives them work .

"pet [fish]stores". Seems like alot of speculation[ fish dieing ] . I wonder what a monthly utility bill looks like , water , heat [ cooling ]. keeping a place between 72 and 78 degrees 24/7 can get costly , and what about electricity ,pumps filters . Like most of you I think shops are justified .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back