Corydoras: Female only spawnings

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cory Keeper

Reaction score
Ok, bit of a strange one here. I had 6 Bronze corys (1 male, 5 females) which spawned regularly (though I never successfully raised the fry). Unfortunately about a few months ago the male sadly went off to fishy heaven leaving the five girls.

Strange thing is, the females have carried on spawning! Is this normal? The spawnings never hatch and look 'empty' (as if there is no embryo inside them).
I'm sure I've identified the sexes correctly (body shape, size, shape of pelvic fins etc.) so I'm pretty certain they really are five females.

Any ideas? Do females often spawn without male 'assistance'? Or have I identified the sexes completely wrong ( or maybe I just have a feminine looking male!)?

Or has a male cory been sneaking in at night and knocking my girls up?!!!!

I'm puzzled, hope sombody can help. Thanks :)

Cory Keeper said:
OK, bit of a strange one here. I had 6 Bronze corys (1 male, 5 females) which spawned regularly (though I never successfully raised the fry). Unfortunately about a few months ago the male sadly went off to fishy heaven leaving the five girls.
Hi Cory Keeper :)

You know, I think your females might just have worn him out!! :lol: Many people recommend having 2 males to each female for spawning! I don't keep that proportion, though, and still have success with them.

With corys, spawning is usually set off by a drop in temperature, so that may explain why the females are laying eggs. Does the temperature in your tanks fluctuate? (I've had mine start when the power was off for a few hours, so it doesn't take much of a drop.)

Why not get a few males and try again? :unsure: Bronze corys are not too hard to raise. Perhaps we can figure out what went wrong with your earlier attempts.

I agree with Inchworm, why not get them a boy? Cories are great fish, and as long as they are Spawning for you anyway, why not try to hatch some eggs LOL. :D I am sure that if you were to get a male, the girls would all be happy with you. Sandy

The girls have been spawning again this morning (did a water change yesterday, that always sets them off), think I'll get them some males so they can do it for real! You're probably right Inchworm, my male was just worn out!

As for my lack of success with raising fry, I think it was mostly due to not having a proper setup for raising the fry. I think it's time to set up a proper breeding tank.

btw thanks for all the advice

snowyangel said:
:/ You've figured out the sexes? if i send u pics could u help me???????????
Yeah sure. Even better why don't you post the pics on the forum so we can all take a look, that way you can get a 2nd opinion (cos I might not get it right!).
Though I notice from your signature that your corys are babies. When corys are young/small it is difficult, if not impossible, to tell the sexes apart.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back