Corydoras And Ph Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FlakeyBiscuit3.14

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all I was wondering about the various species of corydoras in relation to high pH.

Sorry if this is a repeat topic, but if it is available, I couldn't find it easily, and though I've touched on this question in some of my other threads, I was hoping for some more direct and detailed answers for this.

I recently bought a 29G tank (30in x 12in x 18in) and filled it with very fine grained sand specifically because I want to get cories. However, my pH is so high (about 8.0-8.2) that I'm worried. My water is very soft, but the alkalinity and pH are practically off the chart of my freshwater test strip (plan to get a liquid test kit coming up hopefully soon).

Are there any species of cory that do okay in high pH? The Sterba cories have been suggested to me, but are not sold in my area, and I would prefer to not order online unless necessary. Is anyone here currently keeping cories in high pH? I can buy distilled water if necessary, but would prefer not to.

Please, any comments, suggestions, and experience are helpful. Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, sorry guys!! After no immediate responses I kept looking through older posts and I found someone asking this same question! It didn't have a lot of responses, but they said that most cories are fine as long as you have sand and do regular water changes. If anyone has any more to add though I would really appreciate it!!! Particularly on the more common species that will handle the high pH best.

Hi!
I dug out my aquarium fish hand book for this :) I hate to see a post unanswered.
All the corys listed need a pH of 6.8 - 7.5
They are:
Network
Albino
Arched
Bronze
Elegant
Pygmy
Leopard
False-bandit
Peppered
Spotted
Flag-tail
Schwartz
Sterbais
I think that covers most of them! Anything over 8.0 will be too stressful for them, unless they were born bred and adapted to hard water,
Have you considered the cory relative Hoplosternum ..... They can live in a pH of 6.0 - 8.0 they do grow to about 17cm though!!

certain kinds of wood can lower your ph level but it may fluctuate so may be something to think about

Thanks so much for getting back to me!!

I currently have driftwood in my tank, two substantial pieces, but they've only brought it down about .2 points.

And I know that at my LFS they said that all of their cories are tank raised locally, and the local water is very very hard and with a pH of about 7.6-7.8. I have  no idea why mine is so much higher... But do you think that they may be able to tolerate my tank okay? I just hate messing with the pH and always buying distilled water for a 29G :(

And thanks for the suggestion of the Hoplosternum!! I will look into them.

firstly do you have any limestone in your tank what rocks do oyui have what ornaments what sand if any of these cna raise ph then remove them will tell you if they can although pics may be needed if not then try putting a small bag of peat in your filter or in high flow water at least

FlakeyBiscuit3.14 said:
Thanks so much for getting back to me!!

I currently have driftwood in my tank, two substantial pieces, but they've only brought it down about .2 points.

And I know that at my LFS they said that all of their cories are tank raised locally, and the local water is very very hard and with a pH of about 7.6-7.8. I have  no idea why mine is so much higher... But do you think that they may be able to tolerate my tank okay? I just hate messing with the pH and always buying distilled water for a 29G
sad.png

And thanks for the suggestion of the Hoplosternum!! I will look into them.

Maybe the sand has calcium in it? Or maybe some other minerals that may raise the ph. I know aragonite and crushed coral sand do this, but they are made for saltwater set ups, what sand are you using?

I made sure to get sand with neutral pH. It had tons of great reviews from freshwater customers. The water out of my tap has the high pH. I have well water, which is normally extremely hard (my outdoor tap the water comes out brown with iron), but I have a good water softener, so it is soft, but very alkaline with high pH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back