April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have 4 Pepper Corydoras in my unheated 29 gallon tank (temperature stays around 72°F). I plan on adding 2 more so they are more comfortable together. Before that though, I had a question about substrate. I have a planted tank gravel in there now with leaf litter covering most of the bottom, should I top the gravel with sand? I have been reading that sand is better for their barbels and I don't want them to get scratched up.

I also have the option of moving them to a 30 gallon tank I will be setting up here soon, with Peacock Gudgeons and maybe some small tetra, along with a green BN pleco.

Attachments

• 15950901978885693957064696401407.jpg
    15950901978885693957064696401407.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 166
Having gone through the serious problems with substrates and cories, my suggestion is to either remove the "plant" substrate and replace it with proper sand, or put the cories in another tank that has the sand. Plant substrates have problems for substrate fish like cories especially, from the roughness (even if in your hand it may seem smooth), but also the bacterial issues. And it prevents the fish from filter feeding. Capping the plant material with sand seldom works for long as the water thermal currents and the fish's activity will mix it unless the sand was 3 or more inches in depth, but that is unreasonable and causes even more problems biologically.

Sand needs to be either a specific smooth river sand intended for aquariums, or you can use good quality play sand [I have this in all my tanks].

Filter feeding is the term for how cories naturally find food. They take in a mouthful of the substrate, filter out any microscopic food bits, and expel the substrate through their gills. Often they swallow the substrate with the food, which causes them no problems if the substrate is mud or river sand, but any other substrate (like the plant stuff) can be serious.

I agree. Corydoras need very fine sand. They are natural scavengers and also filter feeders.

Having gone through the serious problems with substrates and cories, my suggestion is to either remove the "plant" substrate and replace it with proper sand, or put the cories in another tank that has the sand. Plant substrates have problems for substrate fish like cories especially, from the roughness (even if in your hand it may seem smooth), but also the bacterial issues. And it prevents the fish from filter feeding. Capping the plant material with sand seldom works for long as the water thermal currents and the fish's activity will mix it unless the sand was 3 or more inches in depth, but that is unreasonable and causes even more problems biologically.

Sand needs to be either a specific smooth river sand intended for aquariums, or you can use good quality play sand [I have this in all my tanks].

Filter feeding is the term for how cories naturally find food. They take in a mouthful of the substrate, filter out any microscopic food bits, and expel the substrate through their gills. Often they swallow the substrate with the food, which causes them no problems if the substrate is mud or river sand, but any other substrate (like the plant stuff) can be serious.
I will probably be doing a substrate change then. Not the most fun chore, but it will happen once I can buy the substrate.

I will probably be doing a substrate change then. Not the most fun chore, but it will happen once I can buy the substrate.
Sounds good. I suggest getting play sand. You can get the Quikrete brand from Lowe’s or HomeDepot. It has a nice, natural brown color. (It is also fine)

Thank you all for the help. I will head out and get a bag of playsand then.

Thank you all for the help. I will head out and get a bag of playsand then.

The brand is very important, as some is not safe. I use Quikrete Play Sand, available from Home Depot and Lowe's in Canada and USA, maybe other outlets there. It comes in two shade, a basic buff tone and a dark grey mix. My local HD carries the dark grey which I happen to prefer, but either is safe. Make sure it is Quikrete. When I changed over several years ago I discussed their processing and it is safe.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back