Cory looking ill?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

31LJ95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just noticed that the Cory looked like this. It his a white like down the back of its back and looks like a red vein on its stomach. It also has jacked up fins( fin rot ??) what should I do. Excuse the tank being dirty just come back from holiday and had people looking after it. Help appreciated.

Attachments

• 12FC0FBA-3112-4A1F-AFBC-051B7E067D63.jpeg
    12FC0FBA-3112-4A1F-AFBC-051B7E067D63.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 263
  • C20DA040-6024-4D27-8DA4-9172368739C4.jpeg
    C20DA040-6024-4D27-8DA4-9172368739C4.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 174
Hi, do you have a water test kit so we can look at ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? What other fish are in there with the cory? Thanks

I have test strips that be ok? Guppies , and a Bristlenose. I have noticed when I first put them in he does push them away for food but I always make sure they get food. He does ocassionaly go for them but they are now living together better. I can take them out and they will be in a big School of Corys in my brothers tank. the medications I got are algae fix ( donā€™t rlly need it) , fungus solver , and like a general cure. Iā€™ve got aquarium salt but i think Corys are very sensitive to salt arenā€™t they? Cheers

He/she does look like its been in a bit of a scrap. Yeh, ideally corys should be kept with at the very least, 5 of their own kind, in order to keep them from feeling stressed. So if your brother will have it that'd be good.
With the damage done, you really need to make sure the water is as clean as possible to prevent bacterial infection and the potential onset of septicemia.
Id therefore do a large (70%) water change as soon as possible. And yeh, test the water just to make sure its clean (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and <20 nitrate)

You can treat with salt but at a low dosage. I'll grab the dosage for you now...

(from member @Colin_T )

a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate any day the ammonia or nitrite is above 0ppm, or the nitrate is above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

---------------
Add some salt.
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate will not affect plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

-----------------
If there's no improvement after a week of clean water and salt, then post more pictures.

Ok so should I just put them in my brothers tank which has 8 plus bronze Corys? There is 4 of my Corys. I will Probably put them in there tomorrow because are very healthy. I will have to do it tomorrow because ive turned the lights off and dint want to stress them out to much.

Ok so should I just put them in my brothers tank which has 8 plus bronze Corys? There is 4 of my Corys. I will Probably put them in there tomorrow because are very healthy. I will have to do it tomorrow because ive turned the lights off and dint want to stress them out to much.
Put it in your brother's tank once you've brought it back to full health yeh. Unless your brother is willing to nurse it? I'll be honest its really not looking very healthy at all so it could do with some help sooner rather than later

Use the test strips and test the water now, then give us the results please. If there has been a problem while you were away that has affected the water parameters, the whole tank could be at risk and not alive in the morning without an emergency water change. Ammonia or nitrites in the water are far worse for fish than the stress of turning the lights on.

I know. We didnā€™t agree on that subject. I just about killed my cories at that dose and then learned it was too much. :)
noted! :good: sorry do you think it'd be better to tidy this thread up and just edit my post with a correct dosage? Just in case anyone doesnt read far enough and overdoses their corys with salt?

Only time I have ever seen the red veins in my corries. Has been if their water quality had dropped. The white on the back I have not seen though. I would be cautious moving it to a healthy tank. Potentially it has developed something that can transfer to the new tank and healthy fish. I would suggest treating in its existing tank and cleaning that tanks water. Good luck my friend.

Thanks for all the help. What I can see is I need to do a water change I will do a big one straight away. here are my test results. i also took another pic of him.
Nitrates - 50/ 100 (hard to tell)
nitrogen dioxide -0
water hardness -8*d
KH - 6*d
ph 6.4
chlorine - 0

Attachments

• 13F5163E-C6F2-4DFB-9EA4-0405EB8B9F57.jpeg
    13F5163E-C6F2-4DFB-9EA4-0405EB8B9F57.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 140
update - just done a bit of the water change and one of my guppy jumped out onto floor. Does this mean anything . I think itā€™s Stress but Iā€™m not sure. not looking the best still swimming any tips. Stil finishing water change. hope this doesnā€™t portray me as a bad fish owner I do care for my fish a Lot.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back