Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

The research has not shown face shields to be effective at protecting against the virus. They're probably better than nothing, but just barely.
Regardless, most places still allow that in place of masks. So when people make the excuse, ā€œoh, I canā€™t come because I have to wear a mask. I have a medical condition.ā€, isnā€™t a real excuse.

I personally think they rushed it. Theres no way you can get a working vaccine in under a year. For other 'famous' diseases, it took them 5+ years to get a working vaccine!
They can create vaccines in a few weeks nowadays. They have gene sequencers that can identify every gene in an organism in a few hours. The advancements in science and modern medicine is incredible and when the entire world is working on the same thing, then vaccines can be made very quickly. The most time consuming part of the vaccine is clinical trials and then getting approval.

-------------------
Masks are used to stop you breathing the virus into the air and onto other people.

Visors are used to reduce the chance of the virus getting into your eyes and infecting you that way.

The new Indian strain of covid19 is highly contagious, airborne, and much easier to catch. People in Australia are catching it simply by walking past an infected person. One person caught it from being outside in his yard when an infected person was at a building several houses up the road. This new strain is a serious concern that is airborne and highly contagious. Masks would help to prevent this strain of the virus from infecting other people.

Last edited:
I always have wondered why, if you are too ill to wear a mask in a supermarket, you are prepared to take the risk of being out in public in a relatively confined space. As someone with, ā€œunderlying health issuesā€ Iā€™m still really vigilant; Iā€™ve had both jabs but still wear a mask, use hand sanitiser, use my own wipes on the shopping trolleys etc. I wouldnā€™t go out without a mask....

Well the Indian strain of covid19 has now spread to New South Wales, the neighbouring state of Victoria. It is affecting people faster than they can be tested. This could be it. Covid19 has become airborne and is highly contagious. It's about to take off and spread across the world.

There is a misconception about what the vaccine does. It does not prevent you from getting sick (though it lowers the chance) but if you do get sick chances are very very good it will be extremely mild illness. My dad who is 86 got sick after being vaccinated but he only ran a mild temp for a couple of days and then healed up. He is in very poor health so it was surprising that the illness from corvid-19 was extremely mild. Now this is a sample of one and obviously not conclusive but nationally they have been tracking these things and generally speaking the results from the vaccine has been very very positive.

There is a misconception about what the vaccine does. It does not prevent you from getting sick (though it lowers the chance) but if you do get sick chances are very very good it will be extremely mild illness.
Yeah, I'm surprised that peoples still believe that :/

Well I'm from Brazil and the situation here with covid, the vaccine and the government is absolutely crazy. I'm a health student and also lost my grandma to covid last year so I'm just gonna say this: WEAR A MASK! Even if you're also wearing a face shield, even if you're outside, even if you're vaccinated. The vaccine is not 100% effective (no vaccine is, for any disease) but with it you have over 95% chance of not dying. If where you live you can get vaccinated than get it and be greatful, I don't think I'll be able to get mine until next year.

Also a reminder: the mask may be unconfortable but a breathing tube is worse.

@juliejanu - Iā€™m sorry you are having such a difficult time, thank you for you very wise words on mask wearing, it seems such an insignificant thing to do compared to the consequences of not wearing one and some people make such a fuss.
I truly don't understand why make such a big deal, it's not that bad! I'm always thankful I even get to wear one when I need to leave my house, after seeing very closely how awful and painful this virus is, I'm happy I'm alive and able to be safe!

I truly don't understand why make such a big deal, it's not that bad! I'm always thankful I even get to wear one when I need to leave my house, after seeing very closely how awful and painful this virus is, I'm happy I'm alive and able to be safe!
That is not the reason - the reason for the resistance is political. They are able to ignore the many deaths around them because after all, they say this disease is no worse than the common flu.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here's where this discussion starts veering into difficult territory. Please remember that we don't get into politics on this forum. I know it's all related, but this isn't the place for that sort of discussion. Thanks.

Well, I had the Pfizer vaccine. Only the day after my arm got sore. Maybe because I've been lying on it for the night.
A face shield is not allowed everywhere in our country. They say that it doesn't protect sufficiently. At the hospitals overhere face shields are prohibited.

That is one of the side effects of the pfizer vaccine. I had that back in april felt fine afterwards but by morning my harm hurt a bit. On the second shot it is not uncommon if you feel a bit sick the day after but it shouldn't be too severe.

For me, any injection causes a sore arm. That includes every flu vaccine for the last 20 years and a course of 3 tetanus vaccines back in the 1980s. It's not what's in the liquid, it having liquid forced into body tissue. I always have a sore jaw after a local anaesthetic at the dentist as well.

Well thereā€™s my 3 weeks up after my second AZ jab. I thought only 2 were required but MrsLurch was told 3 so weā€™ve erred on the side of caution. Sheā€™s got one week to go.
We may celebrate our freedom after 15 months of medical shielding with a trip to Pizza Express!!!!! Thatā€™s the last place we went out too dine at, 29 Feb 2020. I found the bill in my wallet this morning. The cash alongside it is the exact same cash I had in there that day. Card only ever since.
Its been a weird year but weā€™re still here. Thankfully so far I only know one fatality personally, a workmates father. Only one known victim in our immediate neighbourhood as well but we didnā€™t know them. Though a few look like having long term health problems.
Stay safe everyone, weā€™re not out of the woods yet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back