Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

NannaLou

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
The system is totally bonkers - no wonder we are in such a bad state!!

Met up with 2 of my children and grandchildren at the weekend; I think we followed the rules, (there were 11 of us) and we were on the beach most of the afternoon, but went into the penny arcades for about 1/2 an hour before splitting up and going to our respective homes. It’s the most contact/public mixing we’ve done since March last year… potentially 2 weeks from the end of the lockdown rules and we assessed it would be fairly safe…

Both my daughter and I have had messages to say we need to isolate for 6 days; my partner and son don’t have the app, so no message for them. My daughter has been told the children don’t have to isolate as they don’t have the app and did not get the message…where is the sense in all this..?

We will be isolating and keeping the children home from school as we feel this is the correct thing to do; my son won’t - he hasn’t had the message and won’t get paid for taking days off of work…😡😢😡

Sunnyspots

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
The system is totally bonkers - no wonder we are in such a bad state!!

Met up with 2 of my children and grandchildren at the weekend; I think we followed the rules, (there were 11 of us) and we were on the beach most of the afternoon, but went into the penny arcades for about 1/2 an hour before splitting up and going to our respective homes. It’s the most contact/public mixing we’ve done since March last year… potentially 2 weeks from the end of the lockdown rules and we assessed it would be fairly safe…

Both my daughter and I have had messages to say we need to isolate for 6 days; my partner and son don’t have the app, so no message for them. My daughter has been told the children don’t have to isolate as they don’t have the app and did not get the message…where is the sense in all this..?

We will be isolating and keeping the children home from school as we feel this is the correct thing to do; my son won’t - he hasn’t had the message and won’t get paid for taking days off of work…😡😢😡
I have always assumed that all contacts of the person with the app had to isolate too? The rules are mad, and Track and Trace are/were an expensive joke. And not paying those who are forced to be part of the awful gig economy for time off work to isolate is barmy. I agree with you NannaLou.

anewbie

Reaction score
That is one way to encourage nay-sayers to get a vaccine !

I’m wanting to get the vaccine just so I don’t have to wear a mask.

At the upcoming CAP Encampment, all of the cadets who have had the vaccine dont have to wear masks. However, any cadet that hasn’t had the vaccine, has to wear a mask literally 24/7.

Keep in mind, this is in the blistering summer heat of Kentucky. The majority of what we will be doing is outside in the head. (Marching, drill, PT, etc.)

—-

I don’t care if it works to be honest, I just want it so I don’t have to wear a mask.

Dephea

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I had the alert asking me to isolate during my 7 days ALONE in my house when I was painting, wallpapering etc. I did not see a single living soul, did not get any parcels, literally nothing. Still was warned to stay inside and isolate. Not sure from what and why, safe to say I very much disregarded that. I have a church close to my house, I bet it was because I was in a close radius.

Now I want to get the vaccine but the website sends me waaaaay too far for it, there is no way I will spend an hour travelling for a vaccine when in the meantime they are all yappy about unnecessary travel and whatnot. I do not find 1h trip needed, I work from home and I can get essential items online so they can respectfully kiss my backside with this whole vaccine drama. I just hope something closer to me will become available

Naughts

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I had the alert asking me to isolate during my 7 days ALONE in my house when I was painting, wallpapering etc. I did not see a single living soul, did not get any parcels, literally nothing. Still was warned to stay inside and isolate. Not sure from what and why, safe to say I very much disregarded that. I have a church close to my house, I bet it was because I was in a close radius.

Now I want to get the vaccine but the website sends me waaaaay too far for it, there is no way I will spend an hour travelling for a vaccine when in the meantime they are all yappy about unnecessary travel and whatnot. I do not find 1h trip needed, I work from home and I can get essential items online so they can respectfully kiss my backside with this whole vaccine drama. I just hope something closer to me will become available
It's quite possible that you will get offered a closer appointment soon. People in England have ignored invites for vaccine centres then got an offer to book a local one, sometimes just one day later. It may be similar in Wales.

Dephea

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It's quite possible that you will get offered a closer appointment soon. People in England have ignored invites for vaccine centres then got an offer to book a local one, sometimes just one day later. It may be similar in Wales.
Yeah my friend had that and he just said to try to book it every few days and eventually something closer to me should pop up :) I hope it does, I am genuinely happy to get vaccinated, just don't see the travelling as a priority since I rarely go anywhere 😂

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well this doesn't sound very good.. So what justifies an overnight stay in the hospital I wonder??

Sky News: https://news.sky.com/story/covid-ne...nt-indian-delta-easing-g7-12326752?inApp=true

10:57

83 people in hospital with Indian variant were fully vaccinated

More detail from that PHE report here, and some potentially worrying figures around the breakdown of hospital attendances.

Of the 1,234 people who attended A&E in England between February 1 and June 7 and who were confirmed as having the Delta variant, 825 (67%) were unvaccinated, 220 (18%) were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine, and 83 (7%) were more than 14 days after their second dose.

And of the 383 cases where attendance at A&E resulted in an overnight admission, 251 (66%) were unvaccinated, 66 (17%) were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine and 42 (11%) were more than 14 days after their second.

NannaLou

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well this doesn't sound very good.. So what justifies an overnight stay in the hospital I wonder??

Sky News: https://news.sky.com/story/covid-ne...nt-indian-delta-easing-g7-12326752?inApp=true

More detail from that PHE report here, and some potentially worrying figures around the breakdown of hospital attendances.

Of the 1,234 people who attended A&E in England between February 1 and June 7 and who were confirmed as having the Delta variant, 825 (67%) were unvaccinated, 220 (18%) were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine, and 83 (7%) were more than 14 days after their second dose.

And of the 383 cases where attendance at A&E resulted in an overnight admission, 251 (66%) were unvaccinated, 66 (17%) were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine and 42 (11%) were more than 14 days after their second.
And the R rate has been reported as being between 1.2 and 1.4 - 12 to 14 new infections for every 10 😢

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Well Western Australia is still crap when it comes to getting a vaccine.

Any child 12 or over can now get vaccinated in the Northern Territory.
People 16 and over can be done in Queensland.
In most other parts of the country people over 18 are getting vaccinated.
In Perth, Western Australia, (80km north of me), they have mass vaccinations going on at sporting complexes.
Here in Mandurah, I still can't get a fuplie vaccine.

When Perth goes into lock down, we go into lock down. The politicians in Perth have all been vaccinated, but nobody in my town has been done and over one third of the population here is over 50 years of age.

I keep asking the federal government when I can be done and they palm the matter off the the state government, who don't answer. The state government ignores my request for help. The cops, ambos (paramedics), doctors, mental health system, even the real estate agents are all saying we will help you get a vaccine. But here I am, still unable to get a vaccine.

I am so fed up with this crap. I can't get vaccinated to save my life but everyone else in the country can. I am so sick and tired of this crap.

---------------------
edited to add, just then on the news, the Prime Minister of Australia is travelling overseas because he has been vaccinated. And several state premiers and other politicians have been vaccinated so they can go to Japan for the Olympics. What a load of crap, what an utter load of crap

Last edited:

sarabarton76

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score

I've just worked the weekend and admitted multiple people. To stay overnight purely due to covid you need to be on oxygen - otherwise we are discharging with follow up.

I've a couple of patients admitted for non covid reasons (or only marginally related) but covid positive and needing isolation. Most patients are unvaccinated, a couple had had 1. I have had fully vaccinated patients but they had other issues making it likely they had not responded. Clearly I cant give any more detail than this.

Around 85% of the virus in the UK now is the Delta Variant. Its estimated to be 50% more transmissable. The R rate in the NOrth West of England where I work is 1-1.3. Hospital admissions are not going up as rapidly as the positive cases and the older age group are doing much better - so vaccination is for the most part working. There will always be a small percentage that still become ill, we have increased the number in ITU in the last week.

We are seeing sick younger people. Those in their 20s and 30s are much less likely to become seriously ill - but when you look at a big population even 1% is a lot of people.

I am confident continuing the current levels of restriction is needed, even though the outcomes are less severe - if the cases rise at the current rate we will still see large numbers of very sick people. There's a very difficult balance between the economy and health. I'm clearly biased as a medic. A third peak was entirely predictable in any of the models used to aid decision making. I hope we can get enough vaccines out to prevent the levels of harm we saw previously

Most reactions