Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

@Colin_T it makes me mad that governments say one thing but donā€™t provide the means to meet the requirement.

I fear that the ā€˜data not datesā€™ mantra here will be ignored so Boris can say theyā€™ve achieved their exit plan from lockdown.

Apparently in most places now (in Kentucky) if youā€™re vaccinated, you donā€™t have to wear a mask.

I think I counted a grand total of 10 people yesterday, in all of Walmart, that were wearing a mask. Everyone else wasnā€™t.

Because Iā€™m sure that they are all ā€œvaccinatedā€. If Walmart employees started asking for vaccine cards? It would be a disaster.

ā€”ā€”

I donā€™t care if the vaccine even works at this point - I just want to get it so I donā€™t have to wear my mask.

@Colin_T it makes me mad that governments say one thing but donā€™t provide the means to meet the requirement.
The state government did that in February? this year when they did a lock down on Sunday evening at 6pm. No warning, just 6pm on the news and its a lock down. We couldn't go out in public without a mask on, which is fine in general. But if you didn't have a mask, you couldn't go outside. You couldn't go into a shop to buy a mask. You weren't allowed out of your house without a mask on and I didn't have a mask.

When I contacted the premier of the state, I was ignored for 2 weeks. Eventually I did my nut at the premier and the cops came around to see if I was ok. I wasn't. I was starving and couldn't go to the shop to buy food because I wasn't allowed in the shopping center without a mask on. The cops gave me a mask and actually bought me some food so I didn't have to go to the shop but the stupid idiot premier should have made masks available to those that didn't have them, and he didn't. All they had to do was put a link on the covid website saying if you need a mask, click this button, put your details in and we will send you some. That wouldn't have been hard to do and would have cost the government a lot less than sending out 4 police cars, the nut house, a police shrink and the ambos, and having them at my house for half a day. All that because the idiot in power didn't think first and didn't make masks available to those that needed them.

Fuplie idiots in power.

Just because you've been vaccinated doesn't mean you can't pass on the virus. No-one yet knows if the vaccines stop you passing the disease on.

In my town anyone who wants a vaccination can get one. I had mine in early april when they opened it up for everyone over 18. The only thing I have to say about this panademic is i'm amazed at the world wide movement by many govts to do exactly opposite of what one should do during a panademic. It truly amazed me - and put me in the i just don't get it camp.

My mom, dad, brother, younger sister, and I have all been vaccinate (got my first shot last week :crazy:) but we still wear masks (and plan to, at least for a little while, even after we are fully vaccinated) for this exact reason!ā¬‡ļø
Well, at this point, I'm not convinced that the vaccine works. Frankly, I don't care. I just want to get vaccinated, so I can stop wearing this stupid mask.

My sister and I have a good friend, and her family complained and fussed and got so mad whenever someone wouldnā€™t wear a mask, before the vaccine and everything, they just got so offended (because a mask doesnā€™t protect you, it helps protect the people around you) and now, their dad has been vaccinated, and they literally donā€™t care anymore. The girl my age invited my sister and I to come to youth group with her, then was complaining at ME for saying I couldnā€™t go, because nobody wore masks. She was all like ā€œthe world has to move onā€œ and Iā€™m like ā€œummm yeah, but I mean COVID killed a lot of people, sorry, but my family really feels like we still know so little about the long term effects of COVID, they really feel like we need to be vaccinated first and wear masks a little longerā€ and she was like ā€œyour family canā€™t just be in fear foreverā€ and I was just like ā€œmmmm ok... letā€™s just agree to disagree?ā€
That's some hardcore defiance right there. :huh::S

Well, at this point, I'm not convinced that the vaccine works.
Why? :lol:
Frankly, I don't care. I just want to get vaccinated, so I can stop wearing this stupid mask.
In all honesty I donā€™t mind the mask. Get yourself a good one, shape it to your face, so it fits all comfy, then NEVER THROW IT AWAY:rofl: My family just uses those cheap disposable ones, and we hang them up in the car, they never come inside, so that we have them right there for the next time we go into town. We
all know whoā€™s is whose, because of the shape of the nose wnd how tight the ear pieces are tied (I have little sisters, and the masks are too big for their small faces, so we tie the ear loops)

The vaccine is available here for anyone. My wife and I have had both shots, and we'll be getting the Badgerling one as soon as she turns 12. Our school board voted to make masks optional for kids and teachers the last month of school. I think it was a dumb move because of the dischord and turmoil it caused--could you please quit yanking us around and just let us finish school, please?--but honestly, the data I've seen do bear out the idea that this disease is not a huge risk for kids. I know, I know, some individual kids have gotten very sick from it; I'm talking about the statistical likelihood, which shows kids are much more at risk of being hospitalized from driving across town than from covid.

From the start of this thing, I've been trying to look past the anxiety, the emotions, and the politics, and go with what the majority of MDs are saying. Early on, that put me in conflict with the anti-maskers. Now, it's putting me in conflict with the pro-maskers. The CDC says masks aren't necessary in most contexts for people who have been vaccinated, and the demonstrated risk of an immunized person passing on the disease is very small. So, that's what I'm going with. CDC says that the vaccines are 80-90% effective against asymptomatic infection, and that those rare asymptomatic cases show a greatly reduced viral load, which indicates low risk of transmission. There is speculation that it's otherwise, but it's just speculation. The best info we have is that, if you're immunized, there is a very small risk of getting the disease, and an even smaller risk of passing it on. Local doctors, people I know and trust, including the Badgerling's pediatrician, concur with all this.

So, I'm not wearing a mask much anymore. My daughter is (we got her some M-95s, which do provide some protection to the wearer) until she's vaccinated. I have immunized friends who still choose to wear a mask, and I think that's great. I agree with @OliveFish05 ; criticizing people for making a choice like that is stupid.

I personally think they rushed it. Theres no way you can get a working vaccine in under a year. For other 'famous' diseases, it took them 5+ years to get a working vaccine!

I think it's just a sugar pill, but that is my opinion.

I have immunized friends who still choose to wear a mask, and I think that's great. I agree with @OliveFish05 ; criticizing people for making a choice like that is stupid.
I also agree.

If you guys didn't know, I'm in the Civil Air Patrol, which is an auxiliary of the United States Air Force. We had a great C/1st Lt and a great C/CMSGT that stopped coming to CAP, because they had to wear masks. They claim it's a "medical issue", but they refuse to provide any information backing that up.

This has made everyone in the unit mad/sad. Mad for them just leaving and, pretty much, not saying goodbye. But we are also sad, because they were/are great cadets.

(In fact, the 1st Lt was going to get the title of "Cadet Commander", but it was passed onto someone else, because she refuses to show up to the meetings. Loosing any opportunity like that, just because you refuse to wear a mask, is detrimental to her future in CAP)

----

My homeschool group is also not going to be meeting this year at all because some of the teachers refuse to wear masks. Now homeschool kids (mind you, kids who go to school with their siblings and parents every single day) have no outward interaction with other kids their age.

It's sad that kids can't hang out with their friends, just because the teachers won't wear a piece of stupid cloth for 3 hours in a day.

I personally think they rushed it. Theres no way you can get a working vaccine in under a year. For other 'famous' diseases, it took them 5+ years to get a working vaccine!

I think it's just a sugar pill, but that is my opinion.
Thatā€™s an Interesting thought! I would think that with so many other vaccines created throughout the years, doctors and scientists have been using all the knowledge that they have about disease, viruses, and vaccines in general into finding something that works. We have so much more knowledge today than we have throughout all history, and maybe now we can create vaccines in a year :lol: But thereā€™s nothing wrong with being skeptical!

Last edited:
If you guys didn't know, I'm in the Civil Air Patrol, which is an auxiliary of the United States Air Force. We had a great C/1st Lt and a great C/CMSGT that stopped coming to CAP, because they had to wear masks. They claim it's a "medical issue", but they refuse to provide any information backing that up.

This has made everyone in the unit mad/sad. Mad for them just leaving and, pretty much, not saying goodbye. But we are also sad, because they were/are great cadets.

(In fact, the 1st Lt was going to get the title of "Cadet Commander", but it was passed onto someone else, because she refuses to show up to the meetings. Loosing any opportunity like that, just because you refuse to wear a mask, is detrimental to her future in CAP)
Thatā€™s AWFUL. People can be soooooo ridiculous.

Last edited:
My homeschool group is also not going to be meeting this year at all because some of the teachers refuse to wear masks. Now homeschool kids (mind you, kids who go to school with their siblings and parents every single day) have no outward interaction with other kids their age
AHHHHHHHHHHH. Thatā€™s awful.

Last edited:
People go on and on about how the masks restrict their rights and Iā€™m just like ā€œehhhhā€.
Then get a face shield!!

Face shields don't restrict your breathing whatsoever, and they still protect others. People are just babies.

The research has not shown face shields to be effective at protecting against the virus. They're probably better than nothing, but just barely.

Also, unless there's a huge, multinational conspiracy going on (which seems unlikely, since many of the countries involved can't agree that dirt is brown), the vaccines have been factually shown not to be a sugar pill. True, they've never developed a vaccine so quickly. We've also never before had the immense amount of resources thrown into a medical project like this. I've had medical researchers tell me that usually they have to wait months at each step, waiting for funding, waiting for approvals, waiting for peer review, all that. In this case, all those waits have been greatly streamlined or removed entirely. I'm convinced that there were no shortcuts taken in the actual research.

If we're going to accept the research that says we need to wear masks (and rebuke those who don't accept that research, label them anti-science, and so on), it seems only reasonable to also accept the research that says we no longer need to wear masks. If we're going to take the bad news to heart, it's OK to do the same with good news. Once vaccines are available and people can choose whether to get it, masks can reasonably become a matter of personal choice as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back