Coral Sand Ok For Fresh?

lilacamy931

Starting again
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
3,475
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Bournemouth, UK
Have a brackish tank set currently though may turn it fresh at a later date, am I able to keep the coral sand substrate I have currently or is it not a good idea for fresh tropicals anyways and also that it will have soaked salt up? Thanks!
 
Have a brackish tank set currently though may turn it fresh at a later date, am I able to keep the coral sand substrate I have currently or is it not a good idea for fresh tropicals anyways and also that it will have soaked salt up? Thanks!
if you wash it well it should be fine, but youll only be able to keep african cichlids in it
 
There are some good bacteria in the coral sand, but if you take from brackish to fw in one step they will die, if you want to preserve them you need to take the salinity down gently.

EDIT: which would then slove your problem of "soaking up salt"
 
I have enough mature media from my other tanks to cycle well with fresh water so that would not be a problem, I will probably change to play sand as would prefer not to limit the choices of fish to cichlids me thinks ;) Thanks very much for all advice!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top