Cooling A Tank

tangokitty

Fish Addict
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
781
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
California
it is hot here in California, and my 50 gallon tank has been hitting 80-85f and I'm afraid the fish will die (mostly the white clouds). what's the best way to cool it off?
 
If you have an external power filter you could probably place it in a polystyrene/cooler box and fill the box with ice.
Regards
BigC
 
I do have an external filter! I'll have to try that! Thanks. i've also been reading old threads about the subject and they have some good ideas as well.

Vanessa
 
On a really hot day I put an ice pack in a plastic bag of water and put the bag in the aquarium, but that was really just experimental, so I don't know how well that method works or how safe it is. It did however get the water to go down about two degrees celcius.
 
if its going to be a long term problem (living in california it probably will be) it might be worth investing in a chiller. They're expensive, but will keep the temperature constand and at a safe level
 
I live in Stanton which is in Southern CA. Today it was 100f out Tomorrow will be a little cooler, I got the tank down to 80f and will be keeping a fan blowing over it. I also think my lights help keep it hot, since I have a planted tank with 2 compact florecents.
 
The ice bag suggestion works. You can do it with water bottles, too, if you want to minimize the chance of accidentally dumping ice water into the tank. Set up a fan blowing accross the top of the tank, too - you'll have more evaporation, but it should help cool the tank.

Southern california, though, I'd invest in a chiller, as temperature's probably going to be a continuing problem for you, and everything else is a temporary solution that you'll have to keep doing.

Compact florescent lights don't create too much heat. A fraction of what incandescents would in their place, at any rate. They might be contributing, but not all that much I shouldn't think.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top