Converting Fw To Sw

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stucolls

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What would it take to convert my 20gal hexagon FW tank to a Marine tank?

I want to do it, but want to do it as basic as possible, if something is not really needed, I dont want it (in other words im skint lol)

So fire away

thanks
Stu

Fish only? A power filter, maybe a small powerhead, some aragonite substrate, heater, salt, and fish... Running a Fish Only marine tank is not much different than running a malawi chiclid tank, just add enough marine salt :). Its only when you start getting into heavy stocking levels, FOWLR, and especially Reefs that things get complicated.

Ok well im not at all clued up on marines etc so if it was fish only could I have things like lion fish, the freaky frogfish thing I saw on here earlier lol clown fish, damsils etc etc??

or do they come into reefs with live rocks and things?

sorry :blush:

Frogs and lions can live in FO's but cannot live with smaller fish (clowns, damsels, etc) as they will eat them ;)

Ok in that case I might go down the smaller nano type route, its only a 20g tank so I will stock using the nano thread I saw somewhere??

so based on that, will I need a hell of a lot of equipment skimmers and all that?

I know clowns like anenomes to sit in but thats all I know lol

Agreed, and for a 20g, a skimmer really isn't necessary.

Ok so its basically just a case of upgrading my filter, changing the substrate, removing the bogwood and plants and replacing with some live rocks, adding salt, and thats in lehmans terms about it?

if it is I will start looking a bit more in depth into those things, I have a little while yet before my tank is free so time to do soe reading

Ok so its basically just a case of upgrading my filter, changing the substrate, removing the bogwood and plants and replacing with some live rocks, adding salt, and thats in lehmans terms about it?

Wait until you see the cost of Live Rock. ;)

LOL does that mean im gonna faint!!

Faint, puke, or better yet, call a russian black-market doctor, tell him to bring lots of anesthetic, and begin cleaning/preparing your lower middle back ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back